How are the HF Predator engines working out ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Been keeping an eye on any super sales on the 13 HP & 22 HP engines at HF for a future splitter build.For the guys that have used them so far,how are they holding up ? And what mts are used for the 2 stage pumps ?

I bought a 13 HP "greyhound" 5 years ago and have beat the life out of it. Still works great. They are usually on sale more than they aren't. Add a 20% coupon you can find just about anywhere. I built my own mount on a lathe at work. If you're looking for a manufactured one, look up the Honda pattern. Everything about them is identical. I am surprised they can get away with that. Surely there is a patent on the design somehow.....

What's not to love ? Price is great, availability is fantastic, easy to work on if needed !! B/S and hondas are way over rated and priced by name only!!!!!!!

Replaced my Briggs with a predator...love it. Starts on second pull Every time. I used the same mount but had to shim it a little bit.

He is referring to the motor to pump mount bracket. If you go on their website, look at the product manual (for the 13 HP model, its on page 19) There is a diagram with all the dimensions for the bracket mounting. I think I saw at least 2, maybe 3 different ones. That bracket could possibly be found at the local tractor store, baileys hydraulics online, or surplus center which is also accessible online. I think the 13 HP could be had for around $300 on sale and maybe a little less with more coupons.

Great value for the money and they seem as reliable as any of the big names, maybe even more reliable.

My 11 hp is still going strong, I change the oil a couple of times a year depending on how much my brother uses it..lol Never an issue with it, it sips fuel and usually takes no more than three pulls no matter how long it's been sitting.

it would be nice if you could still use the coupons for them, there engines have been excluded along with many other items

I put a 5.5 hp model on a previously electrically powered Kemp chipper/shredder and then sold it a year later. I still see it getting used in town 5+ years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a predator on a push mower that only gets used to mow a steep bank. I put it on when they first switched from greyhound to predator. I would barely got a year out of a Briggs engine, but the predator has been going strong for 5 or 6 years. I don't run it at full throttle because it throws the grass out with such force that you end up covered.

I am interested in the 20+ HP twin models. I just went through the vertical shaft vanguard on my riding mower this year. I wish they'd have had the vertical predator twins out then.

Got a 11 hp on the splitter coil went bad had it 4 years now . But been happy with it starts easy sips gas no oil use . Was looking at the 22 hp vertical . What I can't find out is . Will the alternator run the electric cultch ?

I have been running a 13 HP on a buzz saw for a number of years. Zero problem with it. I tried ordering the 22Hp a couple of years back when they first came out and they never did come threw the order finally was canceled and my money was refunded. Haven't needed one since.

I have had one experience with them. We tried to replace an engine on a steam power washer, and the charging system was not even close to adequate to run the burner ignition. We had to swap in a honda part, and ended up spending alot more than anticipated. So far it seems to run great, but it has not been in service long. I guess that is where they save $. Just need to be sure it matches the specs for your application. We never bothered to check the electric output when we spec'd it out. The shaft sizes and bolt pattern and rotation all worked out great.

Mine (6.5 Hp) runs flawlessly after about 300 hours of operation. I may ask it to drive a 13 gpm pump next year rather than the 11 gpm that it's now handling with ease on my splitter.

One of my friends owns one just like it and accidentally stripped the threads on the spark plug. He wrenched it back in as tight as he could cross threaded and the dang thing still runs fine. But, word to the wise. Be careful when removing and then inserting a plug back in.

I put a 22 horse predator in my skid loader 3 years ago (200 hours on clock) runs great, easy to start (electric) on even the coldest days. Great motor....Especially for the price. Air cleaner elements are sometimes a problem... Slightly different than Honda.

No experience on the bigger HF engines, but I have the 6.5 hp replacing a Briggs in my old Giant Vac Leaf blower. 3 seasons running great, starts 1st or 2nd pull. Run Walmart synthetic.

I put a 6.5hp on my old Ariens snowthrower 5 seasons ago and it's just an animal now. Way better than the old Techumsha that it came with. Starts easy, tons of power and takes all kinds of abuse.

I'm curious about the 22hp twins as well. My old man seized up the B/S on his 18hp Craftsman ridding mower. Not even 200 hours on it. I've been thinking of converting it to a predator for him so I don't have to help him mow next summer.

I have a 13 hp predator on my splitter it's been several years and 100's of hours. Has been absolutely flawless and can sit for long periods of time and still start in 2 pulls. It starts so easy I've never bothered to hook up the electric start that came on it. If I wear one out I could buy another and still be money ahead compared to buying a Briggs or Honda.

Latest posts

Back