How are the HF Predator engines working out ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the HF Predator line is essentially a Honda clone then? We have lost power for 12+ hours several times this winter already and I'm thinking of upgrading my generator they have the 13hp Predator 8750 peak / 7000 running watt unit on sale for $529.00 right now and it almost seems too good of deal to pass up.

Anyone know if Honda carb kits, starters etc. work for these?

A genny that size will suck through the fuel. Just keep that in mind...
Oh that's the best part of the deal, for another $125.00 or so there's natural gas conversion kits sold for that model of HF generator and my gas meter and inside service box are just a few feet apart so it alleviates the hassle of feeding it obscene amounts of gasoline and you can switch back and forth between gasoline, propane or nat gas fuel to run it with that conversion kit.

Got a 11 hp on the splitter coil went bad had it 4 years now . But been happy with it starts easy sips gas no oil use . Was looking at the 22 hp vertical . What I can't find out is . Will the alternator run the electric cultch ?

I have had one experience with them. We tried to replace an engine on a steam power washer, and the charging system was not even close to adequate to run the burner ignition. We had to swap in a honda part, and ended up spending alot more than anticipated. So far it seems to run great, but it has not been in service long. I guess that is where they save $. Just need to be sure it matches the specs for your application. We never bothered to check the electric output when we spec'd it out. The shaft sizes and bolt pattern and rotation all worked out great.

Anybody know what the charging output is for the 22hp engines? I looked on the HF website, went through the manual, and found nothing. Web searches turned up claims from 2-12 amps but nothing definitive. If you have to spend hundreds upgrading the charging system to run an electric clutch then the engines certainly become lees attractive.

Jan HF sale flyer has the 22 HP predator for $599. If it has a gas tank I would probably had picked one up and squirreled it away for my splitter build. $100 savings over regular price.

Oh that's the best part of the deal, for another $125.00 or so there's natural gas conversion kits sold for that model of HF generator and my gas meter and inside service box are just a few feet apart so it alleviates the hassle of feeding it obscene amounts of gasoline and you can switch back and forth between gasoline, propane or nat gas fuel to run it with that conversion kit.

Good deal - NG is a pipe dream here. If only....

Latest posts

Back