How Big & How Heavy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveLindsay

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need to get a log moved and I was wondering if there is some calculation I could use to determine how heavy a section of log would be. Is there a table out there with this sort of info on it. The log in question is a 3m length of Marri(red gum) about 60cm across.

Yes there are charts. The ones I have are for local woods, I'm sure same could be found on Google for your trees too.

Water is about 62 pounds per cubic foot. The metric equivalent should be pretty easy to search. If you test a small piece to see how high it floats then put a correction factor in to a volume of a cylinder formula. You first asked for a calculation.

One milliliter equals one cubic centimeter equals one gram of water at a certain temperature (wasn't that maybe 4 degrees Centigrade (Celsius)?)
Therefore density of water in metric system is one kilogram per liter.

The metric "equivalent" was designed that way.

Pi (3.14) * radius squared (metres squared) * length (metres) * density (kg/cubic metre)

= 3.14 * 0.3 * 0.3 (half of 60cm converted to metres and squared) * 3 * 1200 (green density for Marri listed at website BobL posted above, which by the way makes it heavier/denser than water like most freshly cut eucalypts, ie it sinks rather than floats until it has dried somewhat)

= 1017kg approx max (assuming the log was recently cut and not sitting in water and the 60cm was the fat end of the log)

Pi (3.14) * radius squared (metres squared) * length (metres) * density (kg/cubic metre)

= 3.14 * 0.3 * 0.3 (half of 60cm converted to metres and squared) * 3 * 1200 (green density for Marri listed at website BobL posted above, which by the way makes it heavier/denser than water like most freshly cut eucalypts, ie it sinks rather than floats until it has dried somewhat)

= 1017kg approx max (assuming the log was recently cut and not sitting in water and the 60cm was the fat end of the log)
Awesome thanks for that the log is pretty much 60cm all the way through.

Latest posts

Back