ArboristSite.com Sponsors

How can I restore discolored plastic on my Stihl?

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by UPSRandy046, Jan 6, 2010.

1. UPSRandy046

UPSRandy046 ArboristSite Lurker

:chainsaw: I finally gave in and went bigger. Last week I bought an 046 Magnum. It was claimed to be rarely used, and after inspection, that looks to be true (at least, mechanical and engine-wise). However, the same can not be said for the plastic covers. They just dont do the saw justice. No cracks or scratches, but the color looks to be faded or stained. Is there any solvent, chemical, or procedure that i can use to bring back the fabulous orange that it once was? Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. mikefunaro

mikefunaro Addicted to ArboristSite

wait for evan to weigh in...I think he had good results sanding lightly and then applying some kind of sealant...

3. striperswaper

striperswaper AboristSite Guru

Brad should chime in with his clearcoat procedure

4. MarylandGuy

MarylandGuy ArboristSite Operative

I have had great results with Plastic Renew:
    http://www.properautocare.com/plreformoat.html

Something else that works well is using polishing compound for cars. After it's polished, either apply car wax, or rub on a little liquid floor polish from the grocery store. Though the floor polish does make the saw look shiny wet. Maybe a bit of an overkill for a saw. That and spilled gas may take it right off.

5. Evan

Evan Addicted to ArboristSite

i sanded all the scratched and discolering out so the plastic all had the same faded looked then cleaned in the dishwahser dried then 3 or 4 coats of kylon clear.

this is what i ended up with, i sanded with 600 grit in sopay water in the sink
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kinda shiny for my tastes but looks much better then all faded and grimy

tjbier likes this.
  6. SkippyKtm

SkippyKtm The Lorax, my FIL rip...

Nice Job Evan! Thats the exact same procedure I use, and Krylon Clear is my favorite as well. You can Knock down the shine somewhat by using some 0000 steel wool. :rock:

7. Brmorgan

Brmorgan Addicted to ArboristSite

I remember someone on here mentioning using a type of Meguiar's automotive gel polishing compound; I can't remember the exact product name, but I remember they also posted some before and after pics of a saw and it looked impressive. This wasn't all that long ago that I saw this; maybe four weeks at most, but I don't remember the thread at all.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  8. Evan

it was an 044 thread

9. JeremyFXDWG

JeremyFXDWG ArboristSite Lurker

If you want to take the time.. sand them out with wet paper down to about 1200 grit. Then put them on a buffer with brown rogue then white rogue. This will make them shine like new with no need to clear them.

JP

scottr likes this.
  10. wigglesworth

wigglesworth Booned

Meguiars Endurance tire gel. If I keep plugging for it, somebody will believe me. LOL. I have sanded and clearcoated, and I have used this, and this is by far the best for sun faded plastic. It last's a long, long time. It actually soaks into the plastic and sticks. Its best if you really clean the plastic first, like degrease it. Here is a before and after of another members saw...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

beavis331, 7oaks and olyeller like this.
  11. mikefunaro

mikefunaro Addicted to ArboristSite

@ wiggs--

that's incredible

12. angelo c

angelo c Addicted to ArboristSite

Evan,
    Did you buy that Dishwasher from "SNAP-On" ? It always amazes me how much use you get out of that unit...you should have one marketed solely for the shop :clap:

BTW- Nice job.

Added: if you are just looking for a quick and cheap shine try ATF. there's always some old jug laying around and it works pretty good for a quickie.

A

13. olyeller

olyeller AboristSite Guru

I owe it all to Wiggs

That's my 044 Wiggs posted above and I'm proud to say I took his advice and tried the Meguiar's Tire Gel. He recommended Endurance Tire Gel, which I couldn't find, so I used Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Gel which has worked out just fine. I just rubbed it on the old sun-faded plastic, no sanding, and as the photos show the results were very satisfactory for an $8 layout and 10 minutes work. After treating the 044, I still have enough gel left for about 100 saws--or I could dress my tires, I suppose, but I'm not really into that. I haven't done any serious cutting with the saw yet but it's sat around for 4 weeks or so and if anything the gel has soaked in more and the plastic looks great. I wanted to leave the original stickers in place and not try to sand around them, and this method of plastic restoration worked out just fine. I had contemplated buying new plastic because the saw originally looked so bad, but now--no way!

Big thanks again to Wigglesworth!! You da man!!!

Olyeller

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
    7oaks likes this.
  14. cbolyard

cbolyard ArboristSite Operative

How about the white parts of the saw? I was reluctant to use clear on the 026 I did for my dad on the tank assembly because I didn't want the gas to screw it up, so I just left it be.

15. spacemule

spacemule The Peanut Gallery

Saws are made to cut wood, not look pretty. Who cares about a little sun fading? Do you guys put makeup on and wear jewelry when you cut wood too?

teacherman likes this.
  16. angelo c

angelo c Addicted to ArboristSite

Anyone else hearing "Dualing Banjos" in the background ?

(Come on now---squeal like a pig....)

A

17. Evan

i like my saws to look as close to new when i get them all rebuilt and ready for wood. i have never had brand new saw, me rebuilding and cleaning them up is as close as i can get.

after that they get dirty and banged up. rolling down the mtn and haven logs fall on them or rds roll over them. my 026 had 40" rd roll right over it and survived. its looking kinda used now and i dont even hardly clean it anymore same with the 440.

robfromaz1977 likes this.
  18. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

Un-restored classic cars and trucks are currently the rage amongst collectors. Why try to undo the character that takes years of hard work to build? Something to think about anyway….

19. edisto

edisto Spelling/Reality Check

C'mon, you know you like them pretty...

[​IMG]

20. olyeller

olyeller AboristSite Guru

It's called pride of ownership

I guess kids today haven't heard of a personal quality called pride of ownership. Beginning at my earliest days I was taught to take care of my possessions so they would last longer, get the job done and also serve as a reflection of you and how much you care about doing the job the right way. Sure, you can just throw your stuff in a heap in a corner of the garage and hope it all turns out OK next time you go to work. Some people do just that, and I suppose it works for them.

Me, as a pastime I like finding chainsaws that have been neglected and bringing them back to respectability. It's like panning for gold or finding a diamond in the rough.

Space, if you like to let your stuff look like junk, feel free. But lay off the lipstick.

Olyeller

tjbier likes this.