How close can we build to our silver maple?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CourtneyH

Reaction score
We are planning for an addition to our house and the only place to put it will require digging 14-16 feet away from the large silver maple (130 inch circumfrance) in our back yard. We are hoping to do a full basement under the addition as well. I truly am hoping the tree is mature enough to handle any root damage. I have heard also it could cause problems in the foundation in years to come? I would love your opinions.

Just going by what I've read here and elsewhere, the root system is likely to cover as much area as the drip line/canopy of the tree.
Just a guess, but I'd say if it's a huge tree and you are excavating 14' from the trunk, I'd say you're doing major damage that could kill the tree, or weaken it so that it would lean.
Not to mention, if it does live, all the branches that will be hitting your new addition.
Doing a conversion from your estimate of 130" circumference, that tree trunk is 41" diameter? Big tree.
"A tree’s Critical Root Zone (CRZ), sometimes also called the Root Protection Zone (RPZ), is defined as a circle on the ground corresponding to the dripline of the tree."
https://nature.berkeley.edu/garbelottowp/?qa_faqs=what-is-the-critical-root-zone

Hopefully an expert will come along soon and give you the correct answer.

If you plan or desire to keep the tree your best bet is to get a CA to set up protection for the roots like temporary deep mulch to prevent compaction and barriers for contractors during the construction process with fines if they breech the barriers. It depends on how bad you want the tree, however; mature trees are damaged easier than young jfyi. With proper planning and safe guards during construction its entirely possible to save the tree. As far as foundation issues there are root barriers that can be installed .

Get a professional involved on-site. Is the tree structured right to give you many years of enjoyment. Silver maples are notorious for narrow crotches, weak stem attachments, etc. Proper protection during construction is also needed. You stated that you hoped the tree is mature enough to handle the root damage. Mature trees are less likely to withstand root damage. Get a professional involved, I make a lot of money off trees that should have been removed before building. A $500 removal becomes a $2,000 removal real quick.

Get a professional involved on-site. Is the tree structured right to give you many years of enjoyment. Silver maples are notorious for narrow crotches, weak stem attachments, etc. Proper protection during construction is also needed. You stated that you hoped the tree is mature enough to handle the root damage. Mature trees are less likely to withstand root damage. Get a professional involved, I make a lot of money off trees that should have been removed before building. A $500 removal becomes a $2,000 removal real quick.
too cheap :rolleyes::laughing:

Back