How did you guys get over heights

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stgcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I've been climbing on and off for going on maybe 2 years now. A guy that taught me everything from the beginning, has 20 years under his belt climbing. But I'm curious how any of you guys got over being up that high, like being a little nervous. I'm mean 65-70 ft +

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

rapelling, while in the Army. Especially the Helo rapell. Nothing like having NOTHING below you but 100 ft of rope, and a bird above you cannot climb back up to.

That being said, I still hate the climb obstacles, but not because of the heights. As a runner (not quite the upper strength of some of my peers), with somewhat poor depth perception, I hate hurdles, and climbing obstacles.

Yes I find if I just stay concentrated at first I'm fine. I just know what I'm trying to do and try to ever think about how high I am. I've heard guys tell me it didn't bother them a bit. Others say they're nervous the whole time but they get comfortable

I learned to deal with it climbing towers. If vertigo starts to set in, you stare at the rusty bolts and try to figure out if you could loosen them with a wrench, or if you'd need an impact tool. Literally, stare at something right near your face... count the carpenter ants or try to teach them sign language... anything that you can concentrate on. When the feeling subsides, slowly move on, thinking only about what you're up there to do, and nothing else. Don't watch the clouds (they move) or look at the ground (thing you're climbing is moving, your brain thinks the ground is, and panics a little) and keep doing that for awhile. Even if you're terrified of heights, if you stay focused on the task at hand, your brain will adjust and teach itself to ignore the height.

Oddly enough, the height doesn't bother me much in a tree. It still does on the roof of a tall building if I get near the edge, and it still bothers me quite a bit on a tower. I have to use the same trick, again, if I haven't been up on those things in awhile. For some odd reason, trees feel safe to me and knowing that the climb line really will hold me is enough that I just ignore the height. I still avoid looking down or at the clouds if I'm nervous (like spurring up a leaning stem, where I feel like I might spin and take a beating on the bark). It's natural to be nervous... helps keep you from thinking you're Tarzan and doing something stupid.

Heights don't bother me, it's the fear of falling that does!

After I broke my back from a fall in 2010 I had real bad nightmares for a long time. Ripped apart pillows and sheets even.

Nothing wrong with being afraid of heights. That is your brain's natural reaction to an unnatural situation. I would be more worried if you are not afraid.
It's about managing your fear and not letting it consume you. Fear is a potentially dangerous tool, just like a saw, it's all in how you use it that keeps you safe.
Trust your gear, trust your experience, and most importantly learn when to listen to your gut and not let pride put you in danger.

Was not really ever scared of heights, I am more afraid of doing something that rips me in half and leaves me dangling in pain and agony while I die.

I sure as hell would not do this if there were venomous snakes up there.

But in SE Pa the trees are not that tall and the nasty critters have all been chased away.

I just try no to think about it so much. Spikes alone still bother me but if I'm on a rope I feel pretty good at any height. I think it helps to know that ion being held by something with a 5500 or 6500 pound break strength so even if I nick a few strands or fall a few feet somehow I would be perfectly alright.
Im doing a lot better with spikes now though compared to when I first started. I think a lot of it just comes with experience

I've had a ground guy not let it run on small pine top. Let's just say me being new I almost pooped my pants. This was about a year a go

70ft up on a windy day absolutely you pucker up a bit but the ground man is who you need to worry about. Will he fill the gas with oil? When you need 3 wraps will he give it 1, will he rock the back leaning top and let go of the rope and hollar I can't pull it over. Will he forget to latch the trailer... I'm scared of them. Hey hand me the 200t and you see him looking at the starter cover of a 660

Jeff had good ideas but how did we come back to blaming it all on the groundguys? I know its their fault and all but they are down there so why should they be scared?

My main thing is landscaping and lawn care so that's what I train my help the most on. I have had several people that was just there to help carry wood and load branches. One whispers to the other "I could have just cut it whole, that cement wouldn't break."

Back