How do I check spark on homelite 360?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I would like to see if my free homelite 360 has spark,(it currently won't fire). How do I check it with the electronic setup the screws on top of the plug? thanks

Hi Moe,
You can check the ignition system using a test spark plug with the side electrode removed. Remove the high tension transformer and install the test plug and connect alligator clip test wires from transformer to where the transformer hooked up at the saw. The test plug has a wire attached to the outside of the plug and clips to a good ground on the saw. Turn ignition switch to run position and pull starter cord several times. If test plug sparks, then the ignition system is operating okay. Then replace the spark plug. If no spark is seen at test plug, then another transformer should be tried. If no spark is seen when another transformer is tried, then suspect a faulty ignition module, faulty ignition switch or loose/bad connections. Air gap between ignition module and fly wheel is adjustable. Air gap should be set at 0.015 inch. If you have a library close, take a look at a Chain Saw Service Manual put out by Intertec Publishing. It details repair and maintenance procedures for most popular chain saw makes and models.It has a nice write-up with pics for the Homelite 360. Hope this helps.
Ray

Are these test plugs a homelite thing or can I get them anywhere? Are the transformers expensive? thanks

Hello Moe,
You don't have to use a test plug. You can use the regular plug for the saw. Remove the transformer (2 screws) and spark plug. Again, as mentioned earlier, you need to run wires (alligator clips on ends work nice) from the 2 contacts that the transformer would touch to the transformer so it contacts the same locations as when its screwed in. Push the plug into the transformer so the head of the plug is contacting properly. Finally, you'll need to run a wire from the plug base (metal threaded area) to a ground on the saw (like the head near where it screws in. Gotta have a ground on the base of your plug! Spin the flywheel and watch the plug gap to see if you get a spark. If not, its time to check wiring connections, faulty stop switch, flywheel gap, and finally component replacement.

Good luck!
Dan

Moe, The test plug is a sparkplug that is the same or similar type plug used in the saw. The electrode is removed. A wire about 18" long with an alligator
clip on one end and the other end attached to the metal shell of the plug.
Read in one of the old Homelite books that the plug with the electrode removed better simulates the ignition system firing the plug under compression. I have used it on several old Homelite saws, keeps both hands free. Don't know about the transformer cost or availability.

Moe,
Here's an illustration from the Intertec chainsaw manual showing the connection.

attachment.php

Its not the best image, but hopefully it'll make it obvious what to do. Again, a test plug is great to have but a regular plug will work as well to determine if you have any spark or not.

Dan

MOE said:
I would like to see if my free homelite 360 has spark,(it currently won't fire). How do I check it with the electronic setup the screws on top of the plug? thanks

Sorry for the late post, had a little trouble with the forum registration.

I also have the 360. Was cutting good (although I was having to run it half choked to get any power) and set it down to split a few. Next time I picked it up it wouldn't start. Thought ignition too but gave it a shot of starter fluid and she fired right off, then died. Next thought was clogged gas line, but had good flow to carb. Ten year old saw so figured time to rebuild carb. Carb rides in floating handle. Took carb off and rubber throat (between carb and engine) was rotten. Must have been leaking air for years (reason I had to choke it more and more). $10 for new throat and runs better than new.

Last edited:
Transformer repair

I bought a Homelite 450 from a guy in California recently. In the box it came to me in was a letter detailing where he bought the saw and what he fixed to get it to run. Turns out, there is a spring in the transformer that the spark plug makes connection with. The spring was cracked and making intermittent contact with the wire inside the transformer. He used a dremel tool to remove the plastic on the back of the transformer and soldered the spring like new. Put epoxy over the back and it runs as new......Go figure.

It is a shame that no one brings back the really good old threads, like the
Walt Galer/ Art Martin challenge, The "ping" theory, etc......

Back