how do you get wood into your basement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmach1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
right now i just carry it down in a plastic tote about 5 or 6 pieces at a time depending on size. It gets to be a workout. im thinking of doing somthing with one of the basement windows and making a wood only room with a shute from the window. what do you guys do?

I use a wheelbarrow.

We have sliding doors that go to a screened porch just outside a walk out basement. It is very, very, very nice!

I'd like to take credit for the design, but the folks who had the house before us did all the work.

I use a wheelbarrow.

We have sliding doors that go to a screened porch just outside a walk out basement. It is very, very, very nice!

I'd like to take credit for the design, but the folks who had the house before us did all the work.
nice! your lucky a walkout basement is probably about as easy as it can get!

I open the steel coal shoot door that's built into the foundation, back the trailer up to the foundation and toss/slide the wood down into the old coal storage room... if'n I really stack 'n' pack the trailer it holds 'round 2/3-cord, and I can unload it in less than 10 minutes. Stacking the wood up neatly in the coal room takes the most time... but at least it's warm down there and the beer fridge is close.

Walk-Out Basement

The best housing design for wood burning is a walk-out basement if you carry it in. I have a walk-out and simply load up a box on big casters. Then I load up the box and wheel it in. The stove is on the same level.

Otherwise, your best bet is probably similar to a coal chute that allows you to slide logs down a ramp. It's somewhat of a 2-person operation, but it works. Load the logs through a basement window and onto a ramp. They slide down, and the person below stacks the logs onto a rack as they come down, making way for the next batch.

when I was little, we had a wood furnace, and stored all our winter's wood in the basement

there was a chute about 20" dia (maybe 4' long) made out of an old water heater, and cemented in place of one of the basement windows...angled down a bit into the furnace room

when we moved in, dad fabbed up a new cover with an exhaust fan in it...plugged in and operated from the inside. I remember he insulated it somehow, but my memory's kinda sketchy. pulled the whole thing out when it was time to move wood in (unplug the fan first). it was one of those fans with a spring loaded cover on the outside, that you could open and close from inside...also turned the fan on/off...handy for ventilating the basement. (haven't seen one since then...I dunno)

also google coal chute or coal door...might give you some ideas

Basement window. Wood room that fits the whole winter's supply (usually use 6-7cord per year). Advil for back after being bent over long enough to transfer said wood. :dizzy:

Many years ago I lived in a house where the wood burner was in the basement. I removed one of the windows and made it into a chute and put 2 doors in the window frame, both hinged at the top, one on the inside and the other on the outside. When loading wood I unhooked each one and hooked the outside one open and allowed the inside one to swing closed behind each piece of wood, saving heat. When I moved out the next tenant expanded on my plan and completely filled the basement with wood. You might think there would be a bug problem but that is where JoJo came in. JoJo was their pet skunk who lived in the basement and thoroughly enjoyed the darkness and the steady diet of bugs. Their Doberman lived upstairs and was pals with JoJo who was as mild mannered as a good house cat. Good thing as JoJo was not descented. A pretty good tandem security system I might add.

I remove one of the basement windows and use a chute thats made out of an old piece of tin and some odds and ends lumber. Works pretty good. Once in a while the pieces will get wedged on their way down but not too often. This is the best way I've found for me.

I've got a bolier at my place but here is my Dad's set up. We dug out next to the foundation and laid the sides with the sheet limestone and cement. sloped concrete bottom that goes about 2 ft under that door. it's wide enough for 2 rows wide(we use 24" wood). Raised lip outside with metal lid that is sloped to divert water. It'll hold about 2/3 of a real cord. Keeps the bugs/dirt at bay and steps away from the stove.

He made that stove over 30 years ago and is there sole source of heat as he hasn't turned the furnace on in 35 years. It'll cook you out of the house if you overfill it!

91241d1235673078-mvc-012s-jpg

nice! your lucky a walkout basement is probably about as easy as it can get!

You've got that right. I've got a retaining wall and concrete pad right outside my basement door. I built a shed that will hold almost a cord of wood that is right outside the door. I just open the door and the stove is 6 or 7 ft. from it. I usually don't keep much if any wood in my basement.

This year I am trying something different. Without a wood shed, garage, or covered porch I am faced with a dilemma.

First couple years I would move about 1/8th cord at a time, as needed, to a little rack I made with a roof that lived on the back deck. That sucked as during the dead of winter I needed to fill this at least twice a week and it would often be wet on the ends and I had to deal with tarps more than I wanted.

Last year I stacked everything off the back deck on the lawn. Bad idea, lots of carpenter ants during the summer.

This year I am storing about 1/2 cord in the basement at a time, in 2 bays. I expect when it gets cold that I'll go through one bay a week, ensuring I always have dry wood. The tricky part is getting it down the bulkhead. No accessible windows, and my house was built in '85 so no neat trap doors. I have had excellent luck by making 2 ramps from some scrap 2x6's and using the firewood cart from our good pal Harbor Freight Find Great Deals On Firewood Carts - Harbor Freight Tools.

So far, so good. Just can't load the cart to the brims as that first step into the bulkhead takes some balance/ muscle and praying. 7 carts = 1 bay (I'm guessing 1/4 cord.) Also have kept a keen eye for critters, bugs, mold, etc and again, so far so good.

I open the steel coal shoot door that's built into the foundation, back the trailer up to the foundation and toss/slide the wood down into the old coal storage room... if'n I really stack 'n' pack the trailer it holds 'round 2/3-cord, and I can unload it in less than 10 minutes. Stacking the wood up neatly in the coal room takes the most time... but at least it's warm down there and the beer fridge is close.

same situation for me. i can fit a cord and a half in my coal cellar and a bit more under the basement stairs. no beer fridge though, still workin' on that one.

wow alot of great post guys. Lots of different ways to do it. I think for next year ill be doing the basement window thing i have one in a great location. This year the tote down the stairs is getting old!

I got an outdoor wood boiler and don't have to worry about that anymore:)

same situation for me. i can fit a cord and a half in my coal cellar and a bit more under the basement stairs. no beer fridge though, still workin' on that one.

LOL... you need a bigger coal cellar. I can easily stack 4-5 cord in my old coal room, and another 2 or so cord just outside its door by the furnace. I didn't put that much in the basement this fall though... figured I'd wait until cold weather before tossing in the oak. As mild as this winter has been I may not need to throw anymore in until March.

Oh... and the beer fridge get fired up before I ever throw the first stick in... LOL.

I bring wood thru the back door in a wheelbarrow, my stove is on the main floor.

At Dad's house there is a standard sliding window in the basement wall, right next the the furnace. House is a quad level so the bottom of the window is waist high on a 6' man. Wood gets stacked on a cement pad outside the window about 3.5x3.5x5'. You can reach out the window to grab wood, just use the curved hookaroon deal to grab the wood in the back. The setup is super slick, maybe this thread will get him motivated enough to post a pic.

when i first bought my house,,there was a crawl space under the back part!!! sooo, i went to a place that built low deck bridges,,and rented a 12 x 12 x 36 h beam..punched thru three short walls, slid beam thru,poled it up,,a dug it out,,built basement,,and when was closing in the east wall,,found a coal door!!!!! put that in,,and have been throwing wood in back part of basement ever since...12 ft wide, by 26 foot long,,and it has 8 foot ceiling....i stack it 3/4 full each year,,as part of it is canned goods storage..no stepping outside for wood!!!!! i did as some of you did the first three years..wood on east side of house, carry around to west side,,then down the stairs, and stack!!! max 1/2 cord!!! that is part of what drove me to do the basement digging!!!!!

Back