How Do You Remove Limit Stops on MS361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
limiter cap removal tool from stihl. There are 2 of them. I'm not sure which is for your saw. 5910 890 4500 works on 460 mag. 5910-890-4501 is the other.

I don't have mine in front of me, but I think it's the -4500 model. Mine works on all of my saws.

You'll read were guys will say to use a wood screw to get them out, and that would work, but man, you'd trash the limiter cap itself, and at like $5 I think it's just a good tool to have around.

Jeff

my dealer sucks and so do all the other ones around here. I wouldn't let any of them touch my saws with a wrench. list price is 19.95, no excuse for charging me that much though, their loss though, I just buy less and less from them as time goes by.

fishhuntcutwood said:
I don't have mine in front of me, but I think it's the -4500 model. Mine works on all of my saws.

You'll read were guys will say to use a wood screw to get them out, and that would work, but man, you'd trash the limiter cap itself, and at like $5 I think it's just a good tool to have around.

Jeff
The stihl tool has a reverse thread... wood screws don't...
Removing it to set a decent mid-point is a good idea (the factory sets them so you can't go richer, but you sure can go leaner!), but put it back on afterward. There is plenty of adjustment range... Also for those reading this thread that just want to take off every limiter cap on every carb, make sure the carb screws have tension springs. If not, and many don't have them them, remove the cap and the screw will move with engine vibration. I watched a Br420 carb (Walbro HD) H screw turn about 1/2 turn in over 1 hour of blowing. Not nice on the engine or wallet.

clyde said:
my dealer sucks and so do all the other ones around here. I wouldn't let any of them touch my saws with a wrench. list price is 19.95, no excuse for charging me that much though, their loss though, I just buy less and less from them as time goes by.

Just so you know, there is NO list price for Stihl tools. Stihl sells them to dealers at "net" and charges the dealer local sales tax. They aren't supposed to be for resale, but it's not enforced. If your dealer has a "list price" he just made it up to make a profit (not unusual).

Lakeside53 said:
The stihl tool has a reverse thread... wood screws don't...

Agreed, but you can screw a wood screw into the plastic cap, cutting your own threads along the way, and yank it out with that. Like I said, alot of guys recommend that, but you'll trash the caps doing it. That's why I use the tool.

Sorry Andy, should have clarified.

Jeff

it is the 4501 that is 19.95. The 4500 was 5.99, my dealer originaly ordered me the wrong one(4501) and when the 4500 came in he said I could exchange it. I asked about the price and they called the distributor and the price was 5.99.

clyde said:
it is the 4501 that is 19.95. The 4500 was 5.99, my dealer originaly ordered me the wrong one(4501) and when the 4500 came in he said I could exchange it. I asked about the price and they called the distributor and the price was 5.99.

You might want to use another dealer for your small tools...

Lakeside53 said:
You might want to use another dealer for your small tools...

Off topic, but I wanted a flywheel puller for my 032. I've got 3 Stihl dealers in town -one wouldn't help me, one wanted sixty bucks...I never bothered w/ the third -bought it off ebay for 22.50 incl shipping. I think most dealers figure helping a non-pro customer w/ a small purchase is a waste of their time.

catamount said:
Off topic, but I wanted a flywheel puller for my 032. I've got 3 Stihl dealers in town -one wouldn't help me, one wanted sixty bucks...I never bothered w/ the third -bought it off ebay for 22.50 incl shipping. I think most dealers figure helping a non-pro customer w/ a small purchase is a waste of their time.

Try using one of the rental companies that is a Stihl dealers. They appear to be more interesting in helping than coveting the repair work.

If a guy brings in a saw he wants to fix himself, and it's ready to have the flywheel pulled off (and he's nice to me), I just pop it off for him on the counter (15 seconds with the right tool and a battery powered impact driver- quicker than talking about ordering one)... He's a "happy customer", and will be back. My boss grinds his teeth but get's over it. :)

Which of these two tools do I need for an 044, 1998 model. Walbro HD-17 carb.

Latest posts

Back