How long is your...VT/distel and diy e2e

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After some practice I've srt'd the last couple 30-35' dead wood jobs (by jobs I mean in my yard). I've taken a liking to the distel and have been tying the hitch with a very long piece of 9mm sterling cord w/ anchor knotted on each end into the biner. That's 4 rope diameters wide on the biner, not optimal.

I'm curious, how long is your vt/distel cord? I'm going to try my hand at creating my own e2e cord for the hitch and a lanyard. I don't care about the lanyard length but want the hitch cord to be as short as possible.

The NE guide for a buried eye says to bury 2 lengths (21x the rope diameter, twice). That's a little more than 15" buried per side. 30" seem on the long side. Also isn't it going to be *really* stiff? The entire cord basically ends up being a buried tail...

Am I missing something in creating this cord? Thanks-

ps these will be tied onto arbor plex and safety blue

Well I failed for about an hour and a half. Is doing a buried eye splice not a good move on a 9mm single braid, not hollow core?

The NE guide says. Oh just taper the tail and bury 2 fid lengths. Well this single braid not hollow core is tight ad all get out! I can barely get a coat hanger in there let alone most of the width of a 9m cord!

Back