ArboristSite.com Sponsors

How long should firewood season?

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by OR nurse, Dec 13, 2009.

1. OR nurse

OR nurse ArboristSite Lurker

As the title says, how long should cut and split firewood season for a home woodstove? I try to cut and split wood in the winter/spring to burn the following winter. I keep the top covered during hard rains in the spring, but leave it all summer uncovered. I burn oak, ash, and hickory mostly.

2. wigglesworth

wigglesworth Booned

I think that is about common, cut this year for next year's wood. The real answer is season until the moisture content is below 20%. But FWIW I just loaded the stove with some hickory I cut in May and some dead standing oak I just cut last month. The dead standing was probably more seasoned than the hickory.

3. BlacknTan

BlacknTan ArboristSite Operative

Around here, it just gets seasoned until it turns cold enough to burn it... Could be 2 months... could be two years.

4. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I have 30 acres of woods, so I just leave dead trees standing till I need them, "seasoned on the stump". I like to let them dry more after splitting, but some times they go right in the stove. Even if they have been dead for several years they have a good bit of moisture in them and you can see the steam boiling out of the ends of the wood, Joe.

5. Log Hogger

Log Hogger ArboristSite Operative

Cut and split, as much as you can, all of the time

I cut and split year round, but as a weekend warrior, and in the summer I do less because I'm gardening an acre or so. Seasoning takes a full summer or longer, but like rarefish said, dead standing/fallen timber takes less. As a result of Emerald Ash Borer, I have no shortage of dead timber.

6. lone wolf

lone wolf Tree Freak

for burning 6 months and you should be good the thinner you split the quicker that it dries up to a year is perfect if not covered 2 years your growing mushrooms at least in the northeast.covered it will last a long time many years you can burn wood green the same day you cut it you just need to have a hot bed of coals already working to achieve that feat.

7. BloodOnTheIce

BloodOnTheIce Account Hold

I'm burning Ironwood and Black Locust now that I cut back in August, and Black Walnut that I cut back in June. I've got 20+ face cord of Red Oak, still to cut and split for next winter and the year after.

8. 7sleeper

7sleeper Addicted to ArboristSite

Until dry....

see first answer and you know a moisture meter is needed under the tree in two weeks. ;)

9. lone wolf

lone wolf Tree Freak

would you say locust burns the hottest and longest?

10. woodgrenade

woodgrenade AboristSite Guru

Osage Orange, but try finding it.

11. Kwdog75

Kwdog75 Addicted to ArboristSite

I don't really have a time frame, i just love being out in the woods playing with my saws. The wood i am burning now was wood i cut this past winter/spring.

12. REJ2

REJ2 Firewood Hack

The Hackberry I cut last winter is what I'm burning now. Have heard you could burn Hackberry green so of course I tried it last winter, smoked and oozed steam and water like crazy. It burns much better after 10 months. REJ2

13. Bowtie

Bowtie Gearhead

Hackberry is good wood, and often overlooked. Ash and hackberry and mulberry are my 3 favorite woods to burn, and they season quicker than hedge.

Real hard woods like oak, osage orange, locust, hickory do better with 2 years seasoning, but it depends on how you store it for seasoning.

14. computeruser

computeruser Addicted to ArboristSite

12-24 months seems best for my drying setup, which has species mixed and is in a suburban setting without really good airflow like you'd get out in a more open, rural area. Ash is usually good in 6-12 months and White Oak at 24-36 months is perfect.

15. Teddy.Scout

Teddy.Scout Guest

I hope I don't get yelled at for thread jumping!

What about logs 2' in diameter, how long would they have to be down, piled before they could be busted and below 50% moisture content! I know get a moisture meter, but what is your guys opinion?
    Thanks TS

16. knockbill

knockbill AboristSite Guru

I burn oak, ash, and hickory mostly.[/QUOTE]

i let teh oak season for at least 18months,after its split and stacked,,, ash can be burned when its cut,,, i had a whole ash tree, cut in august last year, that i cut and split, and burned it last winter,,,,,

Bowtie likes this.
  17. pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600 Tree Freak

Dry wood burns hotter and cleaner so my wood is usually cut split and dried/seasoned for 3 years. First 2 years piled outside with just the top of each row covered, the third year piled under a roofed over, sides open wood shed. That way I don`t have to clean the glass in the stove doors or punch creosote out of the chimney.
    Pioneerguy600

18. Bowtie

Bowtie Gearhead

ash can be burned when its cut,,, i had a whole ash tree, cut in august last year, that i cut and split, and burned it last winter,,,,,[/QUOTE]

I know I say it all the time, but ash is by far my favorite firewood because of what you said. It doesnt have a lot of moisture even green, and it makes a lot of heat, plus doesnt leave a lot of ash.

19. The Burning Rom

The Burning Rom ArboristSite Operative

Standing trees will dry faster if you cut into them around the base while they're still standing. It lets the water run out.

20. Teddy.Scout

Teddy.Scout Guest

Pioneer,
    I agree with that 100%
    But I(AND THE WIFE!!!!!!) think firewwod grows on trees! LOL
    And with the advent of acquiring some new family members(brother in laws). I find my firewood stash(32 cords) getting a little low!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If need I have PILES, PILES of 2-3year old logs 2'+ in diameter, that are for next year. What might I see in moisture content from them if I busted them down into firewood!

And from now on the newest members of the family will help! LOL!!!