How many cords so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been outside since I got home. I work outside putting ac in for all the rich people around here this humidity is awful. I'm happy I gave myself ac for my birthday this year. I try to do all my wood splitting before July when it gets hot. Swinging an axe in this heat is rough. Do the cutting in the winter it's much cooler lol

I used to have the same mentality. Id rather work in the colder months since the work will keep me warm.....

This past winter changed that. I wasn't able to do anything in the yard because it never froze. Rained all winter. Now Ill take advantage of every opportunity I can.

IMG_0374.JPG My location is the top of the 5 in the 105. Plan on working until noon or so tomorrow

How long did that take you? Ive neglected my truck and need to do the same thing.

3 1/2 - 4 hours in the cab and still have to do the box. The clay bar kit really does a great job, unbelievable really. It's an 2011, and the newer gloss paints and polymer waxes are sweet, but you have to get that grunge film off first. Now if I could only find a white wax to fill in a few chips. I used to have some but can't find it at the auto stores anymore. Finish it up tomorrow. Needs a tonneau cover someday. Mileage sucks in tow mode, at 10 - 10.5 mpg (gas), but we knew that before we got it. Firewood delivery with the flatbed in the afternoon. Put 51 gallons diesel in that when I got another 100 pallets Monday.

I wasn't sure if the pickup was actually going to fit in the garage door height wise. I've read about towing fifth wheels and goosenecks, and the 3500 dually being lower than a 2500, and some 1500's because it has 17" wheels, verses 18" and 20", and the frame is designed different for the axle.

Late this morning we drove to Grand Rapids, went out for a very late breakfast, and then to see our first grand baby, born at 2:00 am. Both mom and dad were exhausted, so we didn't stay long.IMG_4865.jpg

I have eight cords split, stacked, and about 50% is already dry. However, I have a big problem. I have at least 20 cords of rounds ready to split and about half are dry. How on earth am I going to split and stack 20 cords in a few months? Most of the collection is ash, elm, maple, oak, walnut, birch, mulberry, pear, and locust. Maybe I should fly in Casey Forrest and the Crane from Michigan.

If I wasn't behind myself.

I guess I'm only behind in my mind. I do have more than enough cut and split. There's just so many other things to do.

I need a robot.

Sent from a field

If I wasn't behind myself.

I guess I'm only behind in my mind. I do have more than enough cut and split. There's just so many other things to do. I need a robot.

Sent from a field
Nowadays they say you need an android rather than a robot. I fixed one that was dying the other day and used a couple of new parts to get the job done. It cost me an arm and a leg.

I usually burn around 15 cords a year we run the garn year around to heat the domestic water in the warm months. We had a mild winter so we only burned maybe 10 cords last year. I probably have 30 cords of logs from last summers cleaning of a pasture. We got 10 cord of it sawed and split late May and early June. It has just been too hot to do any lately.

View attachment 590434 My location is the top of the 5 in the 105. Plan on working until noon or so tomorrow
J, I was thinking about running down to Ocean City, MD, just to jump in the water. But, I heard all of the crabs were floating on top already cooked, so I stayed home.

I was shooting for 10 cord, have about 6 1/2 stacked. Might raise my goal to 15, I have a couple guns I want to buy, Joe.

I usually burn around 15 cords a year we run the garn year around to heat the domestic water in the warm months. We had a mild winter so we only burned maybe 10 cords last year. I probably have 30 cords of logs from last summers cleaning of a pasture. We got 10 cord of it sawed and split late May and early June. It has just been too hot to do any lately.

I've got a very good setup for heating DHW in the summer with wood - I can go a week between burns. But I don't bother, I let the ordinary electric water heater do it, unless I have junk wood to get rid of. It only runs me about $25/mo and the wood savings (maybe 1.5 cords?) is worth it to me - plus the 5 or so month break from firemaking is nice and no stand by heat loss warming the already warm house up more.

NSMaple1
You probably have the right idea just shutting down the wood for the warmer months. I have never checked how much propane I would burn if I shut the Garn down in the warmer months. My pex running in the basement is very well insulation so it doesn't seem to heat the basement up. I usually burn twice a week in the Garn in the warm months. Once in a great while I get busy and don't start a fire and the water temp in the Garn gets low enough the propane will kick one.

I would like to know about using propane for water heating year around is it cheaper than electric? I'm down to 25 dollars a month for my budget billing and I have a 500 gal propane tank and use that or less every year. If I switch to a propane power vented tank for a family of 4 is that cheaper than electric? Any one know lol. It's about 600 a tank.

Back