How many cords so far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood Doctor
It is funny when I was a kid to a young man we stack blocks like that splitting a tractor, moving a shed or a small house because I was told it made a stronger stabler way to block. Then I got a little older was going to move a three story farm house the real house mover call there blocking cribbing and like you say that style stacking of blocks crib stacking. In later years I have been around these heavy rigging folks that come in to factorys to set or move equipment and all there blocks are cribbing and they crib stack all the time.

Wood Doctor
It is funny when I was a kid to a young man we stack blocks like that splitting a tractor, moving a shed or a small house because I was told it made a stronger stabler way to block. Then I got a little older was going to move a three story farm house the real house mover call there blocking cribbing and like you say that style stacking of blocks crib stacking. In later years I have been around these heavy rigging folks that come in to factorys to set or move equipment and all there blocks are cribbing and they crib stack all the time.
Well, in some respects it makes lots of sense, and masons use it all the time for blocks and bricks in columns and thick walls, perhaps for different reasons, likely the strength increase afforded by the alternating pattern. The other added advantage for firewood is the air circulation that you pick up, and that dries the wood faster. There may even be a drainage increase in the event of rain.

Last year we had lousy drying conditions due to thick cloud cover, humidity, and frequent rain. So, I crib stacked about half of my own woodpile with the crisscross columns every four to six feet. That seemed to help dry the wood faster. One thing for sure, I wish I could have gotten more splitting done before this last heat wave set in. That hot sun bakes the green splits and branch logs. The soonest break in the heat wave I see is early next week. Meanwhile we roast to death and try to work indoors.

Did 12 since last week. I'm on vacation though, my folks are up from Maine.
They helped me today, did 4 cords in about 5.5 hrs.

Got the floor done in the 1st room, gonna do the 2nd tomorrow and the 3rd I'll do myself later on (the stuff is pretty $$... the 2 rooms was about $1200.)

Did 12 since last week. I'm on vacation though, my folks are up from Maine.
They helped me today, did 4 cords in about 5.5 hrs.

Got the floor done in the 1st room, gonna do the 2nd tomorrow and the 3rd I'll do myself later on (the stuff is pretty $$... the 2 rooms was about $1200.)
It usually takes me at least 2 hours to split and stack a full cord of wood from rounds and halves or quarters that have already been cut to length. I'm amazed that you did four cords in 5.5 hours. I suspect you random piled it.

I might have been able to do that with a helper running the wheelbarrow of splits to the pile and stacking them while I continued the splitting. That way the splitting action would seldom have to stop. Two can usually cut the time almost in half. Finding a helper who is willing to do that is another story. And, most helpers don't usually do a good job crib stacking the ends.

It usually takes me at least 2 hours to split and stack a full cord of wood from rounds and halves or quarters that have already been cut to length. I'm amazed that you did four cords in 5.5 hours. I suspect you random piled it.

I might have been able to do that with a helper running the wheelbarrow of splits to the pile and stacking them while I continued the splitting. That way the splitting action would seldom have to stop. Two can usually cut the time almost in half. Finding a helper who is willing to do that is another story. And, most helpers don't usually do a good job crib stacking the ends.

Stacked 3 cords in a truck and filled 4 bulk bags loose (wood for bundles)

Would have been a bit quicker with "Normal" sized wood. I had a bunch of 10" and smaller logs.

I cut, split and load into the truck all in one motion. No wheelbarrow, no throwing, etc.
No crib stacking, just stacked in the trucks and I dump.

Have to either sell in a high end market or move lots of wood in a normal market.

I set a goal of 600 cords this year but that was with expecting to have at least 3 trucks running loads. I haven't had time to fab the dump bed for truck #3 (or 4) yet.

It slows me down when I've got both trucks ready to go but have to wait until evening, next day, weekend, etc before I can deliver.

Back