How many links in a 100' roll of .375 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kinda of math are you using there???????????

100Ft is 1200 inches
3/8"= 1200 divided by (.375 x2)= 1600
The standard drive link count from Stihl and Oregon is 1640

Bill

My math is sound and my numbers are correct, just not the right numbers this. We both came up with a total of 1200 inches of chain but I don't know why I should double the .375 before dividing it into the 1200. The 1640 sounds right now that you have mentioned it, I am positive I have seen that exact info on the Baileys website.

My math is sound and my numbers are correct, just not the right numbers this. We both came up with a total of 1200 inches of chain but I don't know why I should double the .375 before dividing it into the 1200. The 1640 sounds right now that you have mentioned it, I am positive I have seen that exact info on the Baileys website.

The clue is that the 3/8 chain isn't really .375, but about .367 (regular and lo-pro).
.375 just is a "translation" of 3/8, and not the exact pitch!:msp_rolleyes:

Because .375 is the distance between each rivet, not each drive link. Remember you divided the distance between three rivets by .50 to get the pitch.

Because .375 is the distance between each rivet, not each drive link. Remember you divided the distance between three rivets by .50 to get the pitch.

Thank you for setting me straight on that one, it makes prefect sense now that I think about it. When talking about chains you are looking at the drive links and I was more along the lines of measuring the tie straps.

Maybe someone should call Oregon with my math and see if they will fall for it..... Tell em that Johnnie said there should be 3200 links on a 100' roll and they need to send you the difference.

That would be great to get a 200' roll for 100' price. There's enough chain to make 22 20" chains with a little left over.

pitch.jpg

How to Measure Chain Pitch

The pitch of a chain refers to the distance between its drive links.

It is determined by measuring the distance between any three consecutive drive links and dividing by two. Example: 3/4" divided by 2 = 3/8". Sometimes pitch is expressed as a fraction: 3/8" and sometimes it is expressed as a decimal: .404".

The pitch measurement of a saw chain tells a pro user about to the overall size of the saw chain. Usually a larger pitch indicates a heavier and bigger chain.

What Most Pro Users Run: The most common pitch used by professional saw users in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska is 3/8". It offers good flexibility, low weight, adequate strength, and good cutting speed when run on today's high RPM pro saws.

** Copied and pasted from another website, not my information **

As I said, that distance (the pitch) is about .367, not .375! :rolleyes2:

I must be missing something. The distance between three rivets is
.750. Divide that in half and you get .375. I'm always willing to learn so tell me where I'm off. Are you saying that the distance isn't exactly .750 but nearer to .7333333?

.750. Divide that in half and you get .375. I'm always willing to learn so tell me where I'm off. Are you saying that the distance isn't exactly .750 but nearer to .7333333?

Depends on whether you're measuring with a micrometer, or a tape measure. :laugh: :cheers:

Andy

Depends on whether you're measuring with a micrometer, or a tape measure. :laugh: :cheers:

Andy

Basically, yes! :msp_biggrin:

pitch.jpg

How to Measure Chain Pitch

The pitch of a chain refers to the distance between its drive links.

It is determined by measuring the distance between any three consecutive drive links and dividing by two. Example: 3/4" divided by 2 = 3/8". Sometimes pitch is expressed as a fraction: 3/8" and sometimes it is expressed as a decimal: .404".

The pitch measurement of a saw chain tells a pro user about to the overall size of the saw chain. Usually a larger pitch indicates a heavier and bigger chain.

What Most Pro Users Run: The most common pitch used by professional saw users in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska is 3/8". It offers good flexibility, low weight, adequate strength, and good cutting speed when run on today's high RPM pro saws.

** Copied and pasted from another website, not my information **

That site has lots of good info, but some of the contents are directly misleading! ;)

Just for info:
100' .250 or 1/4" = 2392 links
100' .325 = 1848 links
100' .375 or 3/8" = 1640 links
100' .404 = 1484 links
Shep

Back