How many logs will fit on log truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what kind of trucks are they using out there? is it the short loggers with the logs stacked sideways, or lengthwise? or long trailers stacked sideways or lengthwise? if its the short loggers are they using a self loader at the cab side or back of truck with another short trailer?

The trucks are short, self loader with the logs stacked lengthwise, forester said 3000 to 4000 bf. They hold 7-8 cord of hardwood pole wood.

here's some pics of some larger oak and some tulip poplar (grade log job) I finished a short time ago - the guards are resting on a couple buts that would scale about 400/500 ish feet, they're weighed as a load then stick scaled later on. the two bunks (19 logs total) weighed right at 80 thousand and scaled about 4300 (Doyle rule) the saw is leaning against a red oak was to big to move - had to 33' it and turn it around to bring it out, that load was 15 logs, 4 trees. Be real safe out there... good luck

I was going to come back and use a bunch of math to explain it... but q-tip nailed it. just cut a couple exter it sucks to pay the truck to haul air and you can always get someone to cut the rest up for fire wood... but fiqure around 5.25 pounds per bf measured on the round makes a 16' 22" dia log weigh around 3300 pounds+/- a little for taper.

here's some pics of some larger oak and some tulip poplar (grade log job) I finished a short time ago - the guards are resting on a couple buts that would scale about 400/500 ish feet, they're weighed as a load then stick scaled later on. the two bunks (19 logs total) weighed right at 80 thousand and scaled about 4300 (Doyle rule) the saw is leaning against a red oak was to big to move - had to 33' it and turn it around to bring it out, that load was 15 logs, 4 trees. Be real safe out there... good luck

So it took 4 trees to make 4300 bf.?

So it took 4 trees to make 4300 bf.?

yup - a Very fun day - that big one was 3 tank fulls with the 395, 3 trips to get the bugger out with the skidder, when I can get an updated scanner I'll post a pic of a white oak butt log with almost a thousand in it, @ 2.00 mbf you don't want to crack or stump pull etc.

yup - a Very fun day - that big one was 3 tank fulls with the 395, 3 trips to get the bugger out with the skidder, when I can get an updated scanner I'll post a pic of a white oak butt log with almost a thousand in it, @ 2.00 mbf you don't want to crack or stump pull etc.

To cool!
I know the poplar is a heck of a lot lighter than the oak, so I am guessing it is not goint to take too many of my 24" x 45' red oaks to fill a truck?

I find the larger trees are always heavy, cut off a poplar log and pick it up away from the slasher saw and the water runs right out of it - in Maine a guy I subbed for had a tri-axel Ford LTL9000 with a loader and he'd always get 4 to 4.2 mbf (int scale) on a load - just checked a picture from back then he had 19 logs on, very large. Almost always 9 or so cord pulp. I'm guessing if you use your whole tree (woods run) and don't high grade the butt logs like I often do for a different market, you'll average 450/550 depending on taper-you can find a log scale and standing timber scale chart on line or pick up a scaling/cruising stick

I find the larger trees are always heavy, cut off a poplar log and pick it up away from the slasher saw and the water runs right out of it - in Maine a guy I subbed for had a tri-axel Ford LTL9000 with a loader and he'd always get 4 to 4.2 mbf (int scale) on a load - just checked a picture from back then he had 19 logs on, very large. Almost always 9 or so cord pulp. I'm guessing if you use your whole tree (woods run) and don't high grade the butt logs like I often do for a different market, you'll average 450/550 depending on taper-you can find a log scale and standing timber scale chart on line or pick up a scaling/cruising stick

I think the hardest part is going to be cutting log into sections. My forester said that I some veneer logs. I will have to work with buyer to get him the logs he needs. My trees are like pencils, almost same diameter top & bottom.

Last edited:
If you have veneer logs I would have the buyer come and mark them into whatever length they need. Up here they are more than happy to send someone to the job to help in any way possible.

The log buyer has your best interest in mind, the better the log quality the more $ you and the buyer make....

Not so much with the forester;)

about 7000 bf

attachment.php

she usually hauls around 7000, mixed grade logs.

Great pictures. I don't know the DOT laws in WV, but here in NH that truck would be forced to offload a lot of the wood and the driver/owner would have a 5K fine...way over-weight for our tight laws.

Looks like WV gvw is a little higher/axle than Oregon.

You get weighed at the mill?

Anyone have scales on their truck around you?

Last edited:
Western part of Maine is all timberland with roads built and maintained by logging companies. When you encounter these guys coming at you, they have the right of way ...

Maine Logging Company | Logging Company In Maine | Pelletier Brothers Inc. SM | Discovery Channel's American Loggers

Scroll down and click on triple trailer link, my iPad doesn't do pictures very well.

This is a triple trailer carrying 400,000 lbs.

Needless to say, the don't go on state roads.

Used to do a lot of fishing in those woods, you had to abide by their rules to use their roads.

Also look at the double trailers used in winter months, link. Lots of people snowmobile in that area. Beautiful country but like better down here, don't miss the winters at all.

Last edited:
Western part of Maine is all timberland with roads built and maintained by logging companies. When you encounter these guys coming at you, they have the right of way ...

Maine Logging Company | Logging Company In Maine | Pelletier Brothers Inc. SM | Discovery Channel's American Loggers

Scroll down and click on triple trailer link, my iPad doesn't do pictures very well.

This is a triple trailer carrying 400,000 lbs.

Needless to say, the don't go on state roads.

Used to do a lot of fishing in those woods, you had to abide by their rules to use their roads.

Also look at the double trailers used in winter months, link. Lots of people snowmobile in that area. Beautiful country but like better down here, don't miss the winters at all.

I ride snowmobiles on those log truck roads in northern NH. I could never live where there was no winter, and I mean -20* overnights and 10' of snowfall a year...I wish it were 25* and snowing now..

To the OP- 5000 bf on a truck and pup. 98,000lbs is the limit here. I average about 65-70 logs per load, random length hardwood. I've cut several 1000bf oaks and they never look as big on the truck. They can tuck em right in. Your picture shows maybe a 400bfer.

Remember you will always get less than anticipated when they scale it in the yard. ALWAYS.

Back