How many oak varieties are there?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make that only 248 species...maybe!

I found another duplication, then discovered that it was part of a scientific renaming, then found the renamed version already on my list, except that it wasn't quite the same name.

Soo... I don't know. Maybe still 249 different oaks.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Species: Q. texana
Binomial name
Quercus texana
Buckley

Quercus texana, commonly known as Nuttall's Oak[1] [2] [3] [4], is a fast growing large deciduous Oak tree native to North America from the lower Mississippi river valley from SE Missouri to Southern Louisiana and SE Texas and East through Mississippi to Central Alabama. It has sharp pointed leaves somewhat similar to the Georgia Oak (Quercus georgiana) and Pin Oak (Quercus palustris). It is fast growing and usually has nice red fall colors, much more reliably so than the more popular Pin Oak. It is still relatively obscure in the horticultural industry but is slowly gaining popularity due to its fast growth rate, ease of transplanting, good fall colors and ability to grow in wet soils. Its previous scientific name was Quercus nuttallii, but it is now known as Quercus texana; this has created much confusion with Texas Red Oak which was known as Quercus texana but is now known as Quercus buckleyi.[5]

started my first english oak take down today, going back to finish it off tomorrow. We don't get so many oaks in australia, and of those most are english oaks. Pretty nice to work it - a spreading tree for sure, but good predictable spiking and great holding wood makes for a straightforward take down. I hope it makes good firewood because I'm keeping a truckload to season up for next winter. I'd read that oak is quite good as firewood, not sure about english oak though.

Our eucalypts sure can get confusing. I can't even say for sure how many varieties there are, but at least 700, maybe a couple thousand. A lot of them look very similar and you have to get out magnification to make an ID. To make matters worse they keep renaming them and assigning them to different families. Of course, not everyone is up to date, so then each tree ends up with 6 or 7 names sometimes, a few common names, a superceded latin name and a current one :msp_confused:

Shaun

I will bet that you can identify infinitely more eucalyptus trees than I can.

I cannot name any at all, and you seem to pop up pretty frequently with the correct answer for those West Coast "tree ID please" problems.

and here i thought the only types of oak were pallet, grade, prime, and veneer. silly simple minded logger......

Took down that english oak yesterday and it was a pretty nice tree to work in. Holding wood was pretty predictable, easy to spike as well. Ended up being about 25 cubic metres of chip in it plus about 7 tonnes of firewood, I'll be interested to see hot it burns in a couple years.

Have to go back and grind the stump next week. Ended up being about 5' at the stump with flair. Oak seems pretty hard to cut so I'm guessing it will be a ##### to grind, and we can only get a 20hp into the site so I'm thinking a full day there.

Shaun

My little rayco with a 25hp engine (one cylinder is very weak) and moderately dull teeth would be done in 3 hours or less. Oak stumps grind pretty well, not nearly as tough as some pine stumps.

Wood is harder, but the stumps grind a little easier? That doesn't make sense, does it? I have no explanations.

I'll let you know how I go... the access isn't brilliant or otherwise I'd sub it out to someone with a bigger machine. I know what you mean about some harder trees grinding easier though, I think it's the way the grain interlocks? Some wood is really hard, but it kind of chips with the grinder as long as the teeth are sharp. Some trees though, they're sort of springy.... more like they tear/rip than chip. Tough going on a smaller machine!

Shaun

I think it may be easier to grind oak than pine because the pine flexes more under each impact by the dull (relative to a chainsaw tooth) grinder teeth. This results in energy absorption over a larger area rather than destructive shredding at each impact point, as occurs with the stiffer oak stump. Pines always look fuzzy and soft when I grind them; that looks like a big shock absorber.

Just my guess...

I think it may be easier to grind oak than pine because the pine flexes more under each impact by the dull (relative to a chainsaw tooth) grinder teeth. This results in energy absorption over a larger area rather than destructive shredding at each impact point, as occurs with the stiffer oak stump. Pines always look fuzzy and soft when I grind them; that looks like a big shock absorber.

Just my guess...

Really? You mean different species grind different? Wow!
Jeff

Nope. Didn't mean that at all. I generally try to avoid explaining the obvious; instead, I work on the "harder to understand" concepts. Perhaps you overlooked that because you were looking no further than the obvious?

I was trying to explain why a hardwood like oak seems to require less horsepower than a softwood like pine. I left unstated the commonly understood observation that oak is harder to cut with a chainsaw than pine.

You shouldn't toss cheap shots at me; you know I will throw it back at you.

Last edited:
Bump!

I came across a reference to the Maple-leaf oak (Quercus acerifolia) today; it seems that they are an endangered species. Only around 600 left in the world.

Here is a link to my list, should anyone care to use it or perhaps improve it.

Updated the link today: 2024-03-26​

It is a rain day, and I am playing on the computer.

I found a list of endangered and rare oaks that I am adding to my list. Not sure how many more will be on the list. Wikipedia says that there are around 600 species, but I don't think anyone has actually made a list and counted them. My list is considerably short if Wikipedia is correct.

EDIT: I found a huge list of Quercus species. Plant Search
They listed 1620 species! This may take me a while to compile.

Also: http://oaknames.org/search/goodnames.asp
They list 1567 accepted names, but this list seems to include all the named variety of each species. I wasn't trying to capture all the varieties.

Granted, there are more varieties than probably any of us can name off the top of our head. But how many do you know by name?

I came across this list today, and I was amazed. Most of these 107 different oak trees I have never heard of.

* Havard Oak
* Darlington Oak
* Chisos Oak
* Chisos Red Oak
* Gray Oak
* Hinckley Oak
* Aleppo Oak
* Sandhill Oak
* Dwarf Oak
* Bluejack Oak
* Shingle Oak
* Silverleaf Oak
* Holly Oak
* Bear Oak
* Ring-cup Oak
* Engelmann Oak
* Emory Oak
* Northern Pin Oak............I always thought a pin oak was a pin oak?
* Blue Oak
* Coastal Sage Scrub Oak
* Leather Oak
* Southern Red Oak
* Oregon White Oak
* Sand Live Oak
* Georgia Oak
* Gambel Oak
* Plateau Oak
* Italian Oak
* Island Live Oak
* Toumey Oak
* Texas Red Oak
* Lateleaf Oak
* Sonoran Scrub Oak
* Huckleberry Oak
* Live Oak
* Interior Live Oak
* Sonoran Oak
* Sandpaper Oak
* Black Oak
* Cork Oak
* Laurel Oak
* Valley Oak
* Overcup Oak
* Turkey Oak
* Lacey Oak
* Tucker Oak
* California Black Oak
* MacDonald Oak
* Post Oak
* Bastard Oak
* Bottomland Post Oak
* Bur Oak
* Runner Oak
* Davis Mountain Oak
* European Turkey Oak
* Cedros Island Oak
* Chapman Oak
* Chihuahuan Oak
* Mexican Oak
* Canyon Live Oak
* Scarlet Oak I can't tell these from a northern red oak
* Oracle Oak
* Chinkapin Oak
* Mongolian Oak
* Mohr Oak
* Blackjack Oak
* Swamp Chestnut Oak
* Dwarf Live Oak
* Buckley Oak
* Arkansas Oak
* Arizona White Oak
* Bastard White Oak
* Alvord Oak
* White Oak
* Sawtooth Oak
* California Live Oak
* Ajo Mountain Scrub Oak
* Boynton Sand Post Oak
* Brant's Oak
* Swamp White Oak
* Scrub Oak
* Myrtle Oak
* Netleaf Oak
* Deer Oak
* Northern Red Oak
* English Oak
* Robust Oak
* Muller Oak
* Daimyo Oak
* Shumard's Oak
* Pungent Oak
* Channel Island Scrub Oak
* Cherrybark Oak
* Palmer Oak
* Oglethorpe Oak
* Water Oak
* Mexican Blue Oak
* Pin Oak
* Dwarf Chinkapin Oak
* Chestnut Oak
* False Sand Post Oak
* Running Oak
* Netleaf White Oak
* Coast Oak
* Durmast Oak
* Willow Oak
* Mapleleaf Oak

I found this list on the lower right side of this page: http://www.gardenguides.com/taxonomy/shumards-oak-quercus-shumardii/
There are links on each name, so presumably you can look up each variety if you wish.

Showing my ignorance, I have colored the ones that I can identify.
I am same and can only identify a handful or two. Good luck identifying them all. There are over 600 species of Oaks.

Latest posts

Back