How many pieces of wood in a cord?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the missing spreadsheet. Let's see if this one works:

LogsinaCord.gif

These numbers might be a tad high. In my case, I usually figure 500 logs in a full cord when stacked. However, many woodburners split to larger logs than I do, and I must admit that I split smaller logs for campfire bundles.

i like the spread sheet. i know the way i split them there are a lot less than the way my brother splits them, he has a tiny sove

I had someone tell me 300 for half cord and 600 for full. So I tried it next time I sold a few cords. The numbers were not that far off what I threw in the truck before counting. If it looked short I just threw more in till it looked right. Again everyone splits wood to different sizes sooo..

What is the practical application for knowing how many pieces are in a cord?

in reality.....absolutely none.

every so many months the same questions always pop up and the similar debates begin. i rather enjoy reading the more scientific answers...lol

a full cord of wood is 4 x 4 x 8......period..... and how you get there is any one's choice.

but, one thing i know for sure is you can only get a true cord of wood with pieces cut either 12" or 16"...anything else is shorting you.

the number of pieces is moot, meaning it's of little or no practical value.

in reality.....absolutely none.

every so many months the same questions always pop up and the similar debates begin. i rather enjoy reading the more scientific answers...lol

a full cord of wood is 4 x 4 x 8......period..... and how you get there is any one's choice.

but, one thing i know for sure is you can only get a true cord of wood with pieces cut either 12" or 16"...anything else is shorting you.

the number of pieces is moot, meaning it's of little or no practical value.

I usually have pieces that are between 15" and 15-1/2". Does that mean that I'm getting shorted?

I usually have pieces that are between 15" and 15-1/2". Does that mean that I'm getting shorted?

Depends on if you're buying or selling. Save all the splitter scraps in a bucket and carefully stick all the little pieces in between the stacked pieces...fill up all those voids...and you should be alright. It shouldn't take you more than an extra hour or two to do that. :msp_rolleyes:

Or...just stack it up, call it good...and take the rest of the day off. That's my plan.

Depends on if you're buying or selling. Save all the splitter scraps in a bucket and carefully stick all the little pieces in between the stacked pieces...fill up all those voids...and you should be alright. It shouldn't take you more than an extra hour or two to do that. :msp_rolleyes:

Or...just stack it up, call it good...and take the rest of the day off. That's my plan.

I don't know that I have that kind of time. If I get them split and stacked could you come by and fill in the gaps?

what about 24"??? hmmm what then?? or 48"??

just giving you a hard time

How About Just One Log?

Of course, you can ignore the spreadsheet I posted completely and just deliver one log like this one, maybe bucked to 6-1/2' long for good measure:

AndysBigCottonwood.jpg

Not sure who has a stove big enough to handle this puppy, however, or a splitter for that matter. That's a 36" bar on a Stihl MS 660 that the logger is holding and the saw that he used to drop the tree.

Who in the gay hell sticked this "winter I got nothing better to do thread"??? Never mind, I can guess :msp_rolleyes:

What is the practical application for knowing how many pieces are in a cord?

Piggly Wiggly and a few hardware stores around here sell small packaged bundles of firewood for a DOLLAR a STICK!! If a homeowner gets a look at this thread they will quickly understand how badly they are getting ripped off by not buying their wood from a reputable cutter. I don't sell wood, I dont buy it, I cut my own, but I know I can buy a full cord less than 5 miles from my house from a reputable cutter for $200. That same cord would cost me $600 or better from the Pig if I bought it in 5 or 6 stick packaged bundles.

Latest posts

Back