How many trees make a cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now thats a nice load of logs !!

Man I don't know. That looks a bit shy of 7 cords to me. I just got this ten cord load for $750.

Nice load of wood !! Was this all one 1 standard triaxle or was it truck plus pup or some other type of rig ?? Looks like at least 10 cord to me. If it was a properly loaded standard truck plus pup you should get 12 plus cord. Good price too. That load here in Ontario would cost $1400 to 1600. I wish I could bring in logs from MI.

Last edited:
Nice load of wood !! Was this all one 1 standard triaxle or was it truck plus pup or some other type of rig ?? Looks like at least 10 cord to me. If it was a properly loaded standard truck plus pup you should get 12 plus cord. Good price too. That load here in Ontario would cost $1400 to 1600. I wish I could bring in logs from MI.

Man I wasn't here when they delivered. I've bought from them before and they know where to put it and it just shows up one day. The last load was a packed full truck (dual rear axle log truck with grapple) as I recall.

I've got another load like this one coming in about three months. That one I'll let season until December and then start cutting. Skidding off is easier in the snow.

We cut out back on our property as well, keeping the woods in shape, but it's probably more cost effective to buy in loads like this. Getting it out of the woods is a lot of work even with a truck and a tractor.

Thats one tasty looking pile of logs! Makes me want to crank up my J'red!

We did this weekend. Got to use the new 372XP for a few tanks. That saw is a monster compared to my 353 with muffler mod. The 372 doesn't need a mod. It just keeps on chewing................

I can skid and cut more logs with that saw than the girls can keep up with on splitting................

Now if my freakin elbow will just quit hurting...............<grin>

The numbers I've seen posted else where is a cord is about 90 ft3 unsplit or 180 ft3 as a hand tossed pile.

This is a great log weight calculator that I've used for some crane jobs. If you know how much a cord of wood is supposed to weigh you can figure it out.
Log Weight Calculator at WOODWEB

Here is the chart for cord weight by species
Tree Species and Firewood BTU Ratings Chart for Heat Energy Content

Random factoid, most wood is about 50% moisture content when fresh cut, to bring it down to 12% each cord has to loose 72 gallons or 600lbs.

Love the firewood talk...I'm designing a splitter to process logs to 6' diameter...in theory with the right sized logs I'll be able to process a cord into about 650 pieces in 5 mins. I'll post pictures when it is built.

To the OP, anyway you look at it, cutting firewood, especially out of 8-12" logs, to get to your total is a butt load of cutting. Given your location and winter temps figure at least 35 trees if not 40 if they are all close to 8" to hit your needs and have some to spare...just in case old man winter hangs around for a few extra weeks.

A cord OCCUPIES 128 cubic feet of space. It does not CONTAIN that volume. Volume differs based on how you split and how you stack.

Lots and Lots

I've processed about 17 mature trees this year (much bigger than yours) and I have about 15 cords split and stacked. I'll sell about half and keep the rest for my stove. Believe me, it takes more trees than most people realize to get enough firewood to heat a house or two.

Lots of variables are involved, including both trunk and crown size. Sometimes you think a tree is a winner until you discover that half of it has been infested with carpenter ants and/or eaten by termites or other critters.

i think you'll be cutting up alot of them to get a full cord.

trees look big when they're standing there, and when cutting they seem to get bigger...lol.... but, once split and stacked, they sure seem to shrink.

its kinda like buck fever.. the buck looked bigger then a dog inside the woods...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I am so dreadful at math that I'd die if my life depended on it If I have a tree about 12 inches in diameter and, say, 30 feet long, how much of a cord would that furnish, roughly?

I am so dreadful at math that I'd die if my life depended on it If I have a tree about 12 inches in diameter and, say, 30 feet long, how much of a cord would that furnish, roughly?

It depends on the size of the short end, how much bark you loose and how much shrinkage while drying.

but 12" large end, 8" small end inside bark and 30' long should give you something like 16 cubic feet. If you can get 6 logs just like that you'll have about one cord.

A PNW log truck holds close to 10 cords. A load of 40' peckerpoles is anywhere from 80 to 100 logs. Double that for 20' peckerpoles and you come up with 160 to 200 trees for a load.

How do I know this? I worked on lodgepole pine units that were logged. The log scaling program at the mill had to be adjusted because there were more logs on trucks than the computer was programmed to handle.

Now, how many camels can dance on the tip of a needle? How many grains of sand are in a bucket? If I trip and fall in the blackberries, and nobody is there, did I actually fall?

Thanks, guys. At least now I have a rough estimate. Every time I get wood delivered I understand how much wood each cord is. I went to college in Washington State and always wondered how much wood those trucks were hauling.

Back