How much is your wood pile worth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That almost looks like europe with the size of the logs... Is it true there isn't a whole lot of big wood in Canada? I had a Canadian groundie last year, nice guy... told me that he'd never really seen a big tree until he came to Australia. Admittedly we were working up in the mountains in old growth stuff up to about 165' which there isn't much left of, but he told me he'd never really seen anything over about 2'DBH in his own country.

Shaun

All depends what part of Canada you are from. On the west coast in BC its an area of Canada and even the world thats renowned for its old growth cedar. Cedars there can get 15 foot at the base and prob upwards of 200 feet in height. They still cut them to Helping my partner on a big one - YouTube

Now here on the east coast of Canada where I am at in Ontario a 24" diameter tree is big but fairly or very common. Actual big trees that are uncommon size would probably be in the 3'-4' range usually willows or silver maples so I am suprised he's never seen one of these that are well over 2 foot as they aren't all that rare.

A 5 footer and up or actually over 4 feet even or so is considered a monster around here and rare. The biggest tree ive personally seen was an oak that was probably over 6 foot maybe even over 6 1/2' but that was in a forest up north near Muskoka. The biggest ive cut was this silver maple:

041.jpg picture by stihl1 - Photobucket

Its the same tree as in my avatar and the saw sitting on it is a stihl ms660 with a 36" bar. That tree was right at around 5 feet.

All depends what part of Canada you are from. On the west coast in BC its an area of Canada and even the world thats renowned for its old growth cedar. Cedars there can get 15 foot at the base and prob upwards of 200 feet in height. They still cut them to Helping my partner on a big one - YouTube

Now here on the east coast of Canada where I am at in Ontario a 24" diameter tree is big but fairly or very common. Actual big trees that are uncommon size would probably be in the 3'-4' range usually willows or silver maples so I am suprised he's never seen one of these that are well over 2 foot as they aren't all that rare.

A 5 footer and up or actually over 4 feet even or so is considered a monster around here and rare. The biggest tree ive personally seen was an oak that was probably over 6 foot maybe even over 6 1/2' but that was in a forest up north near Muskoka. The biggest ive cut was this silver maple:

041.jpg picture by stihl1 - Photobucket

Its the same tree as in my avatar and the saw sitting on it is a stihl ms660 with a 36" bar. That tree was right at around 5 feet.

Just had to say......mmm it gets cold up here..... ten, 128cu ft cords are normal for a winter here(if only heating with wood), with a burning season that runs from october-may. One also has to account for how this continent was settled, from the east to west. The east got raped good, and also has many different species. Most bigger timber in the east was cut year ago, that still in existant is hidden on private land, or in places cutting is not feasible years ago.

Alex, just curious here, but what in the he!! Did u guys do with it after you cut it down. I am still in awe by the size. I would hate to be the one splitting that one by hand. Oh and by the way there was some one on here looking for a big piece of wood for the north east Wisconsin gtg , but I'm thinking it maybe alil over kill.

Just had to say......mmm it gets cold up here..... ten, 128cu ft cords are normal for a winter here(if only heating with wood), with a burning season that runs from october-may. One also has to account for how this continent was settled, from the east to west. The east got raped good, and also has many different species. Most bigger timber in the east was cut year ago, that still in existant is hidden on private land, or in places cutting is not feasible years ago.

Yes off course although some species such as willow for example is worthless as lumber and as firewood so nobody really cuts them unless they're clearing land or the willow has become a problem dying, breaking branches off etc... But then again you also have to remember that lots of east coast species such as oak, willow, silver maple etc... will reach maximum size at 100-150 years and start dying or be dead at 200 years compared to west coast species live for 1000+ years such as the cedar. Now white pine and hemlock are long living and fairly slow growing species and white pine is particular is very useful for lumber so its very rare to see a 5 foot diameter virgin growth white pine.

Alex, just curious here, but what in the he!! Did u guys do with it after you cut it down. I am still in awe by the size. I would hate to be the one splitting that one by hand. Oh and by the way there was some one on here looking for a big piece of wood for the north east Wisconsin gtg , but I'm thinking it maybe alil over kill.

Everything was cut up using the following saws: 260 for small branches and these were chipped. 440 was used for the bigger pieces and the 660 for big stuff. 660 was also what I used to fell it. The butt end-thing pictured here was cut up by me with an 088 into 16-18" lenghts and these peices were cut into quarters and some even halved then. Basically we cut the whole tree into pieces that could be carried by one or two people. Some of this the boss took to use as firewood while the rest was given away as free wood. It was a lot clearing job so we had to get rid of the wood and its cheaper to give it away than pay for a container to have it disposed of. As that would cost a pretty penny seeing as theres probably close to if not more than 10 tons of wood from that tree.

Damn logger promised 8000$ only got a check for about 3500$ :msp_thumbdn:

IMG_20120430_132458.jpg

This was all free.
100_0709.jpg

Last edited:
I only keep the small stuff for myself, the big wood gets split and sold, that pile is the remnants of around 400 cord processed that year. Trees of around 2' DBH are considered a good size here, a big tree is around 5' DBH and not likely more than 100' tall. Our growing season limits the growth ring size gain per year to around 1/4" in hardwoods.

IMG_3547.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

Man, That's a Rep shot if I've ever seen one!!

the therm is blocking most of it but as you can see i have almost 5 years worth under roof

002-17.jpg

looks like you are about to run out

I have not run out of wood since 1961 when I was nine years old, we spent a very miserable winter that year with only a couple of cord of green hardwood to burn for heating and the wood cookstove. After school each day I would cut a couple of wheelbarrows of hard dry spruce limbs, wheel them to the house, cut them to length and fill the woodbox, these cooked our meal. I swore that I would always have plenty of wood ahead as long as I am physically able. I started running my dads Pioneer 600 the next summer and had 20+ cord ready for the next winter.

I have not run out of wood since 1961 when I was nine years old, we spent a very miserable winter that year with only a couple of cord of green hardwood to burn for heating and the wood cookstove. After school each day I would cut a couple of wheelbarrows of hard dry spruce limbs, wheel them to the house, cut them to length and fill the woodbox, these cooked our meal. I swore that I would always have plenty of wood ahead as long as I am physically able. I started running my dads Pioneer 600 the next summer and had 20+ cord ready for the next winter.

i wanted to make sure my wife would have enough if something ever happened to me

Been there, done that!

In the winter of 2007-2008 started with 24+ inches of snow in early Dec. Then the wind, people in the flatter neighbor county had 20-foot drifts. My annual 3-cords ran out in Feb., and I started cutting, with the help of a friend, standing dead and what ever would burn. Next winter I bought a 455 Rancher and became obsessed with cutting wood. I now have about 8 cords of blocks to split as needed. Determined to never run low again.

Been there, done that!

In the winter of 2007-2008 started with 24+ inches of snow in early Dec. Then the wind, people in the flatter neighbor county had 20-foot drifts. My annual 3-cords ran out in Feb., and I started cutting, with the help of a friend, standing dead and what ever would burn. Next winter I bought a 455 Rancher and became obsessed with cutting wood. I now have about 8 cords of blocks to split as needed. Determined to never run low again.

I think once you live through a situation like that something changes within one to make sure you won`t have to go through that situation again. Some call it an obsession, maybe it is but I just think of it as being prepared.

I think once you live through a situation like that something changes within one to make sure you won`t have to go through that situation again. Some call it an obsession, maybe it is but I just think of it as being prepared.

It is an obsession!! Cutting 3-4 cords/yr is so trivial I bought a trail saw just to get my cutting fix.

Maize222.jpg

Maize224.jpg

One of 2-dozen blow downs in a 8-mile day, all the wood stayed at the site, too green, too far to haul.

It is an obsession!! Cutting 3-4 cords/yr is so trivial I bought a trail saw just to get my cutting fix.

Maize222.jpg

Maize224.jpg

One of 2-dozen blow downs in a 8-mile day, all the wood stayed at the site, too green, too far to haul.

Nice, I am always looking for a reason to cut wood and run chainsaws.

I was at a gas station a few weeks ago and they had small wrapped bundles of wood for $4.99 in a 1/3 of a cord rack.I counted all the bundles then did all the math and they get close to $600.00 a cord.So if mine were sold that way I would have about $12,000.00 in my pocket minus delivery and shrink wrap.I have right now 20 racks of red oak split and stacked like this one.

attachment.php

How do you guys cut and find so much firewood I have 6 cords CSS and still looking and getting more but its a chore finding good hardwood that your allowed to cut in northern pa

I have no problem finding wood to cut, it's finding the time to do it. Farmers around here are clearing fence rows and tree lines like crazy cuz farm ground is selling for 10,000 to 12,000 an acre

I live on 160 acre's, which 85 of them are woods! But just like deets066 I have to find time. I have about 8 cord in the shed as of now and more to pick up in the woods from this spring and last fall. I want about 15 cord done before winter!

I'd love to have 15 cords before winter but I'm not sure if that will happen or not

Latest posts

Back