How much smoke is normal?

• Thread starter Deleted member 116684
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 116684

So, I noticed my osburn 2200 had no way to control the secondaries and I found a way to shut them down some. Prior to my mod they would just burn the wood from the top and now they just ignite the smoke up at the baffle. GREAT. Thats what I want.
Now I have a little smoke coming out while I burn. How much smoke do you consider normal? Is it normal if there is smoke coming out all the time? Obviously every stove is different but for non cat stoves epa what do you think?

I like to keep the smoke as invisible as possible. A little bit of translucent smoke that disappears within 8' or so of leaving the chimney is mostly moisture and probably not much different than an 80% gas furnace or hot water heater. When you can't see through it and/or smoke is reaching the ground and hanging around, that is an irresponsible fire IMO. Odor is another thing. A thick smoldering smoke stinks no matter what you are burning.

I live in the 'burbs and I am fairly anal about smoke from my chimney. I monitor it and if it seems too much I will open up the draft. Most people would never even know that I have a fire burning 24/7. I have a neighbor that will cram his stove full and shut the draft and leave it. It smokes so bad it looks like thick fog outside and it stinks. Don't be that guy.

Short of start up, when wood needs to be added or I let the stove get to cool. you wouldn't know we are burning. I aim for no smoke.

BUT, it gets cold enough up here where we can run the stove 24/7 at a level that burns most everything in the firebox. You may find you have to do short, hot fires so you dont cook yourself out of the house. The key is to get the fire hot enough to burn everything in the firebox. In the meat of winter here we can run the stove between 500 and 600 degrees, all day, every day.

my quadrafire with no cat shows no visible smoke when at operating temperature.

now if the a-hole neighbor acts up I might increase the smoke output temporarily

So, I noticed my osburn 2200 had no way to control the secondaries and I found a way to shut them down some. Prior to my mod they would just burn the wood from the top and now they just ignite the smoke up at the baffle. GREAT. Thats what I want.
Now I have a little smoke coming out while I burn. How much smoke do you consider normal? Is it normal if there is smoke coming out all the time? Obviously every stove is different but for non cat stoves epa what do you think?
Little smoke is a good thing.Means you're burning clean.Keep doing what you're doing.

its usually pretty low smoke, and last night it cleared up after a little while. I am going to try to keep the draft open a little and see if it goes away. If not I guess I can try to adjust the secondaries again. Thanks for your replies!

I had a bunch of RR ties we've been burning. Wish I could get a few loads, they burn great! Last a long time and burn hot.

Depends on your application, if it is like you said a secondary burn stove. No smoke is normal if your stove is up to temp and you are using dry wood. All smoke out the chimney is waste of hydrocarbons/energy! Quite simple.
Start up and reloading on mediocre embers that is another situation.

Motorsen

Back