How much wood could you hand split in a year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSW

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
You have an accessible wood lot bursting with oak, hickory and all the others.

You have no job other than cutting and splitting wood by hand. An ATV with a trailer or a pickup, no splitter, no tractor, no helper. How much would you have cut and split at the end of the year?

I'm 40, and haven't picked up an axe or maul since I was about 18. I have amassed a stockpile of 10 cords+ since mid-January when I decided to put in a wood stove for next season...about 60/40 premium hardwoods/poplar, and working on weekends mostly. Given the scenario's constraints? Sheeeeeet...probably 250-300 cords/year I'd say. Although, given my increase in pectoral girth since mid-January, I'd probable need a few wardrobe refreshments in that period lol

It depends on the wood for sure. When I was splitting lodge pole pine three cords a day no problem, but in California maybe one and a quarter to one and a haft. Mountain Oak being much easier than Pine. The question is why would anybody want to hand split more than 10 cords a year. A ten HP splitter will pay for its self in one year. New or used does not matter. When I had a full time job running a rental yard doing some side work with wood was OK. Now working with wood six to nine months a year is not the same. If I need to split four cords a day is not too difficult to do, but not by hand. Hand splitting or not will keep any body in the same physical condition, but hand splitting is sooooo boring. Thanks

I don't do this as a test, so I am never attempting to prove how much I can do, rather how much I like to do. I cut and split in the winter. I only average about a cord a week with felling, blocking, splitting, hauling, consolidating the brush, and stacking. Oh, yea, and sitting on a stump and contemplating life, rubbing the head of my dog, watching deer, fox, turkeys, building a fire to roast some hot dogs, checking my game camera, spending a morning in my tree stand, and, I'll have to admit, an occasional nap if the sun is just right!On Break.JPG

So, 16 weeks of winter, 16 cord of red oak split by hand. I'd fall off this blistering pace if I had hickory in the mix.

When you say you have no job, does that mean you are out of work and need to split/sell wood to live? Or you are like me and have no job so you can hunt, fish, and go to gun shows. I'll be 61 in a couple weeks and I could split and stack a cord a day easy, then grab a beer and play on AS. At 61, if I had to do it to live, I'd probably only do a cord a day because I'd need time to deliver the wood

The question is ambiguous at best. A lot is going to depend physical fitness, age, type/size of wood etc... I hand split a large portion of my yearly supply (4 cord) the spring around April and the rest (2-3 cord) in late May for a total of 6-7 cord. I have never tallied up my time and IDK how much I would even get don't in a full day if that was all I did because I work nights in April and come home and split a few hours once the sun comes up. A hand full of days within 4 weeks of that and I have the first half done, or more. If I needed to generate income with the firewood then I would consider a splitter. Find a 0% for 12-18 month credit card and but a kinetic splitter.

When you say you have no job, does that mean you are out of work and need to split/sell wood to live? Or you are like me and have no job so you can hunt, fish, and go to gun shows. I'll be 61 in a couple weeks and I could split and stack a cord a day easy, then grab a beer and play on AS. At 61, if I had to do it to live, I'd probably only do a cord a day because I'd need time to deliver the wood

I chose no job because the reality is most
of us can't dedicate 40 hours or more a week to hand splitting wood. So to be relatable and get the highest most honest answer i included no job. So it would be closest to your first situation.

Also the question isn't about me or your neighbor or whats possible, its how much could YOU hand split?

Current age, current pace. Multiplied to a years time length.

To fell, limb, skid, buck, split and haul a cord a day with just a saw, maul and pickup you'd be working hard.

I did 500 cords last year, but with equipment. Much by myself, some with 2 people, a bit with 3.

To get setup with equipment... better have some big $$$.), even for well used iron.

You have an accessible wood lot bursting with oak, hickory and all the others.

You have no job other than cutting and splitting wood by hand. An ATV with a trailer or a pickup, no splitter, no tractor, no helper. How much would you have cut and split at the end of the year?
So you have to cut it ,load it and split it and also stack it so you know its a cord. I would say about one every day. But you ain't going to have a good back after years of that. Then you will need a helper and a machine. Crazy idea!

I think the wear factor is overlooked. Even if you could hand split 3 cord a day are you going to get up tomorrow and do it again, and again, and again?

I don't think I could break over 100 cord a year.

I think the wear factor is overlooked. Even if you could hand split 3 cord a day are you going to get up tomorrow and do it again, and again, and again?

I don't think I could break over 100 cord a year.
I used to do 50 a year but had a limited supply. There were days were my back hurt so much I couldn't even move. Then a friend helped me build a log splitter from a boat trailer and a hyd piston off a truck. Then I got smarter and got a helper or two. You shouldn't be out there alone anyway things can happen.

I'd say if I had to do it every day I would split a cord or slightly more per day. If I had help, then possibly double that. Wood plays a big factor. if you whack it more than twice you are wasting your time.

I could do around a cord per day I think. As is I do about 20 cords a year by hand. Well, the splitting is by hand anyway.

Thing is, though, if it was my full-time job, I wouldn't do it that way for long. Probably not a year. I'd do what it took to make what i needed from selling wood and then buy equipment. Not crazy equipment, just a tractor and a splitter. Might even start with a cheapo splitter. If you do a cord a day 5 days a week, 52 weeks/year and sell at $250/cord, that's 65,000 gross sales. There's room in that for me to make what i need and still buy a darn nice tractor with a loader to make my life easier. Maybe a conveyor for splits too.

I'd say if I had to do it every day I would split a cord or slightly more per day. If I had help, then possibly double that. Wood plays a big factor. if you whack it more than twice you are wasting your time.

Ain't that the truth. I can split big oak rounds on the ground quicker than I can load a splitter. Hit a gum 20 times and you're wondering what its all for. :)

I had a guy for a season. In the fall he went to selling firewood. The county had felled miles of ponderosa pines to clear for an upcoming road improvement.

I gave the guy my wild thing and borrowed him a 3/4 ton Chevy. He went out and cut/split/delivered 10 cord+ a week for 2 months. His GF helped him deliver and ran the phone. I found out later he split the first couple of cords with my old pickaxe. Then he bought a maul.
He was 21, 6'5" 220lbs. Wish he'd have come back for the next season...

Ain't that the truth. I can split big oak rounds on the ground quicker than I can load a splitter. Hit a gum 20 times and you're wondering what its all for. :)
It ain't about speed its about not wearing yourself down and a machine is the way to go.

82 next week. Last year I did 14 cords almost all split by hand. Of course that is a year's work and plugged away at it every day the weather allowed. Just split/piled the last of it the beginning of march. I have a splitter but it only sees the knots/crotches and other tough stuff.

Why by hand? I need to keep active and at my age it is 'use it or lose it'.

Back