How much wood could you hand split in a year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a hypothetical idea for a thread that was meant to be light hearted.

It isn't a thread for personal attacks or comparing your manhood. I don't care for either.

If you said 5 cord or 5000 it makes no difference, I just wanted thoughts and perspectives.

I also wasn't convincing anyone to sell their hydro's. :)

Nothing to do at home but more work, so what else is there to spend time on?

Lets see.....
Play in the garden...
Play with my tractors...
Spend time with my kids...
Enjoy life...
**** my wife...

Are you planning on having "I worked 80 hours a week" on your gravestone?

Lets see.....
Play in the garden...
Play with my tractors...
Enjoy life...
**** my wife...

My dad was a marine. Tough guy, one helluva a work ethic. Worked as a machinist a good portion of his life and worked himself into a foremen position for a fairly large company. Never called out sick. Went in Saturday's - I rode on the dolly because I just had to have daddy time but couldn't walk fast enough to keep up - picture a 5-7 year old kid putting his feet on the platform of a dolly, dad leaning it back so I was fully on then walking briskly through the 200,000+ square foot shop. He only took half day pm sick for each of his carpel tunnel surgeries and was back in the next day. One day the shop declared chapter 11 bankruptcy and moved operations to France. Dad lands a job with the fed gov in their machine shop on a naval base after that for less money. After 5-8 years there with same work ethic he starts taking all sorts of days off - he's now in his early to mid 50's. One day, as a teen, I ask him why he's taking time off from work. I say I admired how he always went to work and got the job done no matter what. He looks at me and says " what will they put on my grave stone? He was a good worker?" That was a defining moment in my life and I will never forget that conversation. Probably the most powerful thing he ever said to me.

This was a hypothetical idea for a thread that was meant to be light hearted.

It isn't a thread for personal attacks or comparing your manhood. I don't care for either.

If you said 5 cord or 5000 it makes no difference, I just wanted thoughts and perspectives.

I also wasn't convincing anyone to sell their hydro's. :)

It was also hypothetical about putting in a solid week of work. I know of no logger, farmer, rancher, etc that puts in 40hrs and thinks that is a week of work. Most have hit that by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Not sure what you are reading, but no manhood was compared.

Lets see.....
Play in the garden...
Play with my tractors...
Enjoy life...
**** my wife...

I don't garden.
I "play" on equipment all week.
My only "kid" is my dog and he's at work with me.
"Get-er-done" is what relaxes me. Loafing around stresses me out.
Don't have a wife (and happy not to!)

Not to say I'm a robot either, but 80hrs a week is easy. That's not even 12hrs a day. Still leaves 4hrs of relaxing and 8hrs a night of sleep.

After Dad died nearly 12 cord. Our neighbor took pity on me and said that If I rolled the big rounds to the side that he'd bring his tractor w/ hydraulic splitter by when we had a good pile. Mr Archie Davis was a good man and he appreciated a hard days work. Seeing a young boy trying to keep the family afloat must have tugged on his heart strings. I owe him many thanks.

ValleyFirewood, I also am one of those guys that "works" too much. I very seldom takes holidays and am on salary so my company gets about 4 weeks of free work from me every year, I've been there 28 years. That's 2 years of "free" work, now that I have grandchildren I am changing that and take a few shorter work days once in awhile and build or do something with them. My kids are older now and they remember I was never home, my wife used to take them to work to see me. I don't want that on my head stone either. I also hate doing nothing but I like to build stuff and go to auction sales to relax. That's why I have so much firewood equipment and projects on the go. Variety is the spice of life so I have 20 projects on the go at all times.
I do my firewood different than most because I cut rounds until 100 or 150 logs are done then fire up the splitter and conveyor. Only takes me a couple of days to split enough wood to heat my 2 houses for the year. 12 cord or so. And I split a bunch of 16" wood to sell.
Got him a new Makita apron so he could work with me. Better smile than the one my Boss gives me.
IMG_20170324_143839.jpg IMG_20170324_143845.jpg

Family time when I was a kid was working together. Doing firewood, working in the garden, Building a garage, snow removal, etc.

Since I get lots of quality time to think while getting wood..... one time I figured it out. Cutting and splitting dead oak hauling it sometimes up to 100 feet in a sled, loading and then stacking in the shed 4 cords takes me a little over 40 hours. So a little less than a cord/day. Not sure if I could keep that pace for a year. Now that I am 45 pretty sure I couldn’t.
Should add that I cut on public land (with permit) and load my truck, haul home and stack.

You have an accessible wood lot bursting with oak, hickory and all the others.

You have no job other than cutting and splitting wood by hand. An ATV with a trailer or a pickup, no splitter, no tractor, no helper. How much would you have cut and split at the end of the year?

Not as much as 30 years ago. Back then a cord a day cut split and stacked I was happy.

Latest posts

Back