how much wood is this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tybedard

hold my beer n watch this
Reaction score
This was last years pile also my first year burning for heat I ran short near the end of winter I'm trying to judge how much I need this year

Attachments

• IMG_20140908_184405_473.jpg
    IMG_20140908_184405_473.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 195
Last year in the pic it was just thrown in a pile this year I'm stacking

I think you would have to average that height a little lower than the 8ft peak to like 5ft? If so it would put it more like 10 cords and stacking would narrow the dimension even further so 8 to 10 cords is my guess.

I think you would have to average that height a little lower than the 8ft peak to like 5ft? If so it would put it more like 10 cords and stacking would narrow the dimension even further so 8 to 10 cords is my guess.
Yeah, 5' high average height and that its thrown in - 8 cords or just under 8

I would suggest to stack a row at the front and back just to hold back the massive pile in the middle, then pile it to the ceiling. you wont have to worrie about running out. Burn it from the front one year, then burn from the rear the next year. That way you rotate your wood. Might even be enough for 2 years? I may be dreaming on that.

That was actullay last years wood pile burnt and gone now actually ran about a month and a half short rough winter here in northern pa lots of -30 wind chill days

not enough i recommend you try and keep 15 cord on you're place it isn't any fun to be caught in the middle of winter with no wood.

I had a pile bucked up logs (~20" long) this spring which measured 30'x27' and had a height of ~7' across the top. The base measured 90' in circumference at the ground.

I ended up with 16 cord when all split and stacked.

-PHOTOS-
You can approximate the volume of a pile of logs as a spherical cap. It is probably about 90% of a pure spherical cap because the sides of the pile are likely straighter. Here's the spherical cap formula:

V = [(Pi)(h)/6][3(a)(a) + (h)(h]

where pi = 355/113, h = height of pile, and a = radius of pile

In your case, a = 14 and h = 7. So, V = [3.6652][588 + 49] = 2,335 cu ft
Multiplying this result by 90% = 2,101 cu ft.
That's 2,101/128 = 16.4 cords. Rather amazing how close this is to your stacked and split pile. Splits knock off bark and there will be some shrapnel while producing the logs. That tends to offset the additional air you pick up as the larger rounds yield the smaller logs.

You can approximate the volume of a pile of logs as a spherical cap. It is probably about 90% of a pure spherical cap because the sides of the pile are likely straighter. Here's the spherical cap formula:

V = [(Pi)(h)/6][3(a)(a) + (h)(h]

where pi = 355/113, h = height of pile, and a = radius of pile

In your case, a = 14 and h = 7. So, V = [3.6652][588 + 49] = 2,335 cu ft
Multiplying this result by 90% = 2,101 cu ft.
That's 2,101/128 = 16.4 cords. Rather amazing how close this is to your stacked and split pile. Splits knock off bark and there will be some shrapnel while producing the logs. That tends to offset the additional air you pick up as the larger rounds yield the smaller logs.

At a cursory glance your math makes sense aside from a loose pile won't make 128cu ft to a cord. It's somewhere in the area of 180-200 cu/ft.

So a 2101 cu ft pile would net about 10-12 cords.

At a cursory glance your math makes sense aside from a loose pile won't make 128 cu ft to a cord. It's somewhere in the area of 180-200 cu/ft.

I never said anywhere that "a loose pile would make 128 cu ft to a cord". Loose pile of what and how big is the pile? Please note that the logs were not split in JRHawk9's original pile. They were rounds.

At a cursory glance your math makes sense aside from a loose pile won't make 128cu ft to a cord. It's somewhere in the area of 180-200 cu/ft.

I dunno, his volume calc came out dang close to what I actually had in my pile.........16 cords. Much closer than your 10-12 :p

Back