how much wood is this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never said anywhere that "a loose pile would make 128 cu ft to a cord". Loose pile of what and how big is the pile? Please note that the logs were not split in JRHawk9's original pile. They were rounds.

Your math doesn't figure 128 cu ft to a cord based on a loose thrown pile?

I'm not seeing any pic, but the 90% figure is probably pretty close for a stack of rounds vs stack of splits.

Anyhow... I'm not going to argue it, just my figures from doing several thousand cords of firewood.

Your math doesn't figure 128 cu ft to a cord based on a loose thrown pile?

I'm not seeing any pic, but the 90% figure is probably pretty close for a stack of rounds vs stack of splits.

Anyhow... I'm not going to argue it, just my figures from doing several thousand cords of firewood.
The 90% figure corrects for the fact that the loose stack is not a true spherical cap. It's also not a cone but somewhere in between. The problem is also compounded by the average size of the rounds that were used to make the splits. The rounds yield more volume of split firewood and the bigger they are initially the greater the volume yield when eventually stacked. Another variable is the average size of the split logs. The larger the split logs, the less the volume that they occupy when stacked.

So, all of this is an approximation, and frankly, I was rather shocked when my calcs were less that 1/2 cord away from what he obtained from the random pile of rounds that he measured.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm not seeing any pic still so I'm just going off the numbers that were written.
Your math works out to 2100 cu ft of wood and air in the pile.

The problem is a loose pile isn't going to be 128cu ft to a cord, like you used in your figures.
It's in the area of 180-200 cu ft per cord.
That's where I got 10-12 cords.

Valley of Firewood said. "The problem is that a loose pile isn't going to be 128 cu ft per cord."

That's correct if it's a loose pile of split firewood sticks. But, a loose pile of rounds that measures 128 cu ft could yield very close to 128 cu ft of split firewood logs when split and stacked. You pick up air as the rounds are processed.

Do you see my avatar? That load of split firewood was produced by a "truckload" of rounds that barely reached into the volume enclosed by the side rails.

It looks roughly 4 cord to me. If you live somewhere cold Id get as much as you have time to pack in there.

I got a late start to cutting this season I'm hoping to have enough wood and hopefully it will be dry enough

I think you need as much wood as you can beg borrow or steal. You should be working on next years wood, or maybe 2 next years wood.

I don't even have this years wood done let alone next years

Cut a load of cherry and maple today after work the most time consuming part is driving around in the woods looking for downed trees or spots where logging was done

I'm not seeing any pic still so I'm just going off the numbers that were written.

I created a hyperlink called -PHOTOS- in my original post which, when clicked, brought you to a post I made in another thread where I had uploaded photos.

Anyway, here are the photos:

Pile of rounds measuring 30'x27' and a height of ~7' across the top. The base measured 90' in circumference at the ground.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Split & Stacked.........16 full cords in total.

3.jpg 4.jpg

Latest posts

Back