How often to change hydraulic fluid in Splitter???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Troy Built (price was right (starts with f ends in e)) that I'd like to change the hyd. filter. So I look up the part num. and it's $30 for that filter. Can't imagine changing that filter multiple times a yr. Might as well turn on the heat pump and live with that bill. Are all those filter that expensive? Is there a source for these filters that is more cost effective?

Later,

My filter is $11 from Northern. Check with NAPA as stated above.

Take that filter down to your local Napa dealer and get him to match it up to an automotive type filter.To make a happy dealer out of him, pull the filter the night before and let it drain face down overnight. Clean it up real good and they will be happy to assist you.
No sense in paying 30 bucks for a filter.

DO NOT DO THIS........ Hydralic filters are rated by micron and where it's mounted in the system . Pressure or suction line. Ones in the suction line have far less filtration so your pump doesn't starve for oil. Sorry but that was not a good idea. :dunno: Now I will say NAPA "as a former employee" will be able to get you one cheaper and exactly what you need. Fact they'll probably just cross your factory number.

Last edited:
I pondered this question also. Most tractors don't have you swap out the hydro fluid until you have 300-400 hours. Futhermore, if you replace the filter every year, you are adding about 1/2 gallon of new fluid during the change. After 16 years, you replaced 8 gallons of fluid.

Latest posts

Back