How old to start climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Have a lot of D. fir and big maple in the backyard, Grandkids want to climb them (some big cottonwood too, but would not let them get into those - 60 ft to the first branch. Great view of Mt. Rainier at over 40 feet. (Their daddy freeclimbed some of the D Fir to above 120 ft when he was 10 YO till Mom saw him)

Maybe part of the question is rigging for little guys 3,5,7 and 10), how small a harness can be gotten, is a ground rope good or bad in dense D. Fir, etc.? (DIL would have a fit if we let them free climb to over 10-20 ft, even on the trees with enough branches for 100% 3 point support).

What are some good sources for kids to learn the safety aspects? Any videos one could suggest that we could get from the library (or reqest the library to buy*)?

*fwiw, here we try to get as much as possible from the library vs outright purchase on principal, as the yearly tax bills show $400 to the library.

hey, my 10 year old niece really likes to climb with me, but my harness is too big for her, so she uses her rock climbing harness. They make those in all sizes, they are cheaper than a tree saddle. They arent always so comfortable because they are made to catch your fall, not sit in for long periods of time. So if you can, find ones with bigger straps so the circulation in their legs can flow. But they are plenty safe, and built for that sort of thing. Especially little kids are safe cuz they are so light! For book on safety and tree climbing, I found the Tree Climbers Companion very useful. Here's a link to it on Bailey's. Cheap and very helpful, and its very safety consciouss. Have fun! http://onlinestore.forestindustry.com/cgi-bin/baileys/catch.html?product=472

Petzl makes a childrens harness that my kids use, they're ages 2-6. It's a little big for my 2yr old but she just sits in it and swings right now. The older boys say it's comfortable.

Thanks for the responses, esp. the "new tribe' link.
Will likely go the way of the founders of New Tribe - the link states they started business making their own harnesses - have lots of 2" nylon webbing, some left over overhead rated d-rings, etc. and an industrial sew machine, so will copy some adult harnesses for the kids.

Latest posts

Back