how old you think this stihl 090 is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treemnky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I've been trolling and sponging up all kinds of information on this site and others. I got my hands on a stihl 090 and am very excited to start milling some slabs. But I'm very curious to know about what year this one might be from. I found this serial number 1149687. What you guys think?IMG_7675.jpg
IMG_9053.jpg 20150730_184134.jpg

It's an early version indeed, appears to have the serial number cast in like a Contra, as apposed to stamped on a machined pad like later saws.
The full wrap handle with the curved brace is also correct for the early 090. Could you post a pic of the logo on the starter?....The embossed log logo would be correct for this saw.
Interesting to see it's wearing a so called jungle muffler.
Nice score!

The fact that it's over 40 years old and still runs is pretty neat. Finished cleaning it up a good bit, replaced a few pieces that were broken, and assembled it today. This is what it looks like now. Here's a few more pics.
20150802_210722.jpg 20150802_210744.jpg 20150802_210837.jpg

Candidate for a restoration, or is it just fine for the OP as is? Just curious?

Definitely not a restoration project... at the moment. Like Rockjock said, I'm gonna be using it for working on my hobby.

I would say closer to 1968 because of the muffler and cast serial number. I don't care for the aftermarket parts but if you're just going to kick the piss out of it I guess it is not a problem.

Yeah it's not gonna be on display. We plan on using it for our hobby. There's a 4' water oak that got struck by lightning and we plan on getting some slabs out of it. Not that often that you get the chance to cut big trees like that around here.​

Back