How Rugged is the RedMax G621AVS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just purchased a Redmax G5000AVS with a 18 inch blade, took it out yesterday to try it out, the dealer told me he would take it back if I wasn't happy. After using it for over an hour, it's not going back. I don't have allot of experience with different saws, but it was effortless cutting 16 to 20" hardwood, mostly hackberry and oak. The operation was vibration free and was a joy to use. I would recommend this saw to anyone.

I'm searching for a saw in the high 50-70cc range and now you fella's have me interested in redmax...as if i didn't have enough choices already.
Local dealer is having one shipped in tues. 380 out the door w/ 20" bar.
I'm very tempted since that's 200 less than Husky 357, Stihl 361, dolmar 6400, johnny 2159. Decisions, decisions decisions.

bowtechmadman,

Did you get a chance to get your hands on the RedMax?
I will be ready to buy soon.
I will hopefuly make a decision this week.

Dolmar 5100? I guess this is in the same league as the Shindiawa 488.

RedMaX G621AVS? Seems like a good compromise.

Shindiawa 757? Heaviest saw out of the bunch but very well built. I don't know if I want to lug this around all day.

Dolmar 7900? A powerhouse but still heavy for me to lug around all day.

12.5 lbs in weight would be a nice compromise in weight.

I still like my 488 but at times it is slightly underpowered for cutting stuff over 16". But the weight is nice!!

Last edited:
The Shindaiwa 757 is a tank (durable) saw. But too heavy and doesn't have the RPM of the other 70cc saws.

Take a look at the new Shindaiwa 490!!!

All the 70cc are pretty close and ones own perception of what performance can be vastly different from anothers.

See if you can run some of the saws that you are interested in.........that will help!!!

Last edited:
Here we go...

7900, weighs the same as most of the 60cc saws, BUT!!!! You will know the difference when you grab hold and start cuttin' dude. Pound for pound that 7900 will outcut anything out there. Faster, and more torque than your 046, least mine has more than the 3 046's I've run... Dude, take the time and go try it before you buy anything else. I don't think anyone hasn't gotten the 7900 that's tried it. It's the best of a lot of worlds. I love mine, wouldn't trade it for anything out there... If your not in a rush, and can't find one to try out, I'm from Charlotte and will be headed back there in a couple months and will be happy to let you try mine out bro... Take care and good luck guy. :cheers:

Cheers eh?

The Shindaiwa 757 is a tank (durable) saw. But too heavy and doesn't have the RPM of the other 70cc saws.

Take a look at the new Shindaiwa 490!!!

All the 70cc are pretty close and ones own perception of what performance can be vastly different from anothers.

See if you can run some of the saws that you are interested in.........that will help!!!

The Shindaiwa 490 is using the same engine as the 488. The 490 will be a great saw but I already have a 488 and it is a great saw. I have had no problems at all with it. I need a saw with a little more displacement and I am thinking a saw at 12.5 lbs. as the weight limit.

The more I think about a 70+ cc. saw the more I remember the times I had with the 046. At the end of the day I was worn out after a full days cutting. I believe the 046 weighed 14.5 lbs. without bar and chain.

Cutting firewood and clearing trees up to 12" with the 488 is a dream compaired to using the 046 I used to have.

It's a hard decision for me. The 488 has hours on it and it has been used hard. It runs good but it will need to be replaced in the near future. It comes a point were it is just not worth to overhaul a saw. I wish I can purchase 3 saws but not at this time. So I am trying to get away with finding one good all purpose (compromise) saw that can run a 24" bar on very few occasions.
But it will most likely run a 20" majority of the time.

7900, weighs the same as most of the 60cc saws, BUT!!!! You will know the difference when you grab hold and start cutting' dude. Pound for pound that 7900 will out-cut anything out there. Faster, and more torque than your 046, least mine has more than the 3 046's I've run... Dude, take the time and go try it before you buy anything else. I don't think anyone hasn't gotten the 7900 that's tried it. It's the best of a lot of worlds. I love mine, wouldn't trade it for anything out there... If your not in a rush, and can't find one to try out, I'm from Charlotte and will be headed back there in a couple months and will be happy to let you try mine out bro... Take care and good luck guy. :cheers:

Cheers eh?

Thanks.

I never had it this hard to make a decision on purchasing a saw.
I know the 7900 weighs in at 13.5 lbs. only a pound more of my weight limit I am looking for. But I just thought about the time saved cutting with the 7900 means less fatigue. on the same amount of cutting with a slower saw.

Where was it stated that the 490 has the same motor as a 488???

Called Shindaiwa directly in Oregon and talked to someone in technical support. I was told the new 490 is an updated version of the 488 and the 490 uses the 488 motor. Why change a good thing? I love my 488.
The differences is in ergonomics. side chain adjuster, all in one on off choke switch. easier on site maintenance. It has the same reliability and durability as the 488. I beat the living daylights out of my 488 and I never had a problem with it.

HMEW,
No I didn't end up getting my hands on it. Distributor wanted COD and dealer refused. He gave me a good break on the 2159 and I went with that.

I have a 488 Shindaiwa, Dolmar 5100 and a 7900.

That said I haven't had any problems with any of them.

The 7900 has been money well spent!

I don't believe the 488 will touch my 5100 in speed, but it's still a keeper.

I wouldn't turn down a RedMax or Shindaiwa, knowing how durable they are.

I know a lot of guys don't care for them because there not the right color, but they will take some serious abuse and keep on going.

I don't think you will go wrong with the RedMax,Shindaiwa or Dolmar.

Good luck!

I'm bumping this old thread to ask a pricing question on the Redmax G621AVS.

A pawn shop sort of near me has a very clean, appears to be low hours, G621AVS. Last month when I asked their best offer was $200.00 out the door (about 183 + tax). I don't "need" this saw, I have a Makita DCS6421, a Jonsered 670 (and enough parts to put together another 670 and maybe a 625 or 630), and a few other 65cc saws (Poulan & Remington). But since when does "need" have anything to do with it ;)?

Redmax is pretty much a "I've never heard of it" brand around here. Once in a rare blue moon I'll see someone running a RM string trimmer. If the pawn shop ends up sitting on it for a while longer they might be willing to cut a better deal.

I have found nothing about prices for a complete & running 621 on eBay, and the closest I found in the classifieds here at AS was someone wanted $225.00 for one back in '14.

I'm bumping this old thread to ask a pricing question on the Redmax G621AVS.

A pawn shop sort of near me has a very clean, appears to be low hours, G621AVS. Last month when I asked their best offer was $200.00 out the door (about 183 + tax). I don't "need" this saw, I have a Makita DCS6421, a Jonsered 670 (and enough parts to put together another 670 and maybe a 625 or 630), and a few other 65cc saws (Poulan & Remington). But since when does "need" have anything to do with it ;)?

Redmax is pretty much a "I've never heard of it" brand around here. Once in a rare blue moon I'll see someone running a RM string trimmer. If the pawn shop ends up sitting on it for a while longer they might be willing to cut a better deal.

I have found nothing about prices for a complete & running 621 on eBay, and the closest I found in the classifieds here at AS was someone wanted $225.00 for one back in '14.
I paid that for the Chinese clone that has irritated so many here. It's pretty much an exact copy except for (I think) the ignition switch and the intake port shape (the clone is a little better, but not enough to matter). There is no doubt the quality control and casting/molding finish of the Zenoah parts will be far superior. Most all parts will swap between the two.

It's quad open transfers and a domed piston with a small hemispherical combustion chamber. Inboard clutch.

I've found it to be a wonderful saw, weighing 12.4lb and balancing nicely with a 20" bar but will pull a 25" well. All I did to mine is a muffler mod, base gasket delete and a little opening & lowering of the intake port. Contrary to what's been posted here it is not a low rpm rumbler, it revs just fine. The A/V is 4 rubber idolators and seems to work fine. The bar mount is D176, but you can mount a D009 with a spacer.

EDIT: Parts seem to be getting scarce, although the things are still being manufactured in China so they do exist somewhere. Mostly what you see on eBay now are 62cc clones of the G5000 design, but those are different.

Solid saw. Unimpressive stock. Much to be gained from porting.

If it is super clean, you can't really go wrong for $200. It would pay for itself in a matter of a few cords.

Thanks, Chris. Edit--And Four Paws (we were posting at the same time).

I'm pretty sure that the overall quality is very good, and it's worth the $200.00. The parts availability might be an issue judging from what I've seen, but I haven't spent a lot of time checking that except when checking prices on eBay.

Hello from Romania . I have a Redmax G621 and a chinese clone. The clone is 72 cc on a little bigger case. The clutch is the same, the 2 ignition modules are a direct swap, the carb is also a direct replacement, the tank and antivibe are identic. So you will have a source for parts. Even the cilinders can be used if you can't find a original.

Latest posts

Back