How to build a folding sawbuck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not the creator of these plans. I'm simply passing them along for your use. I have built a couple of these. They do work very well.

Saw%20Buck1-X3.png

Saw%20Buck2-X3.png

Saw%20Buck3-X3.png

IMG_1909-L.jpg

IMG_1910-L.jpg

IMG_1911-L.jpg

IMG_1912-L.jpg

The sheet-steel one the HF sells is a good option too. No tubafores in harm's way, that you have to duck the saw under, serrations from punching the steel before shearing it lets it grab the wood. Around $30.
Folds super-compact, too.
I often stack a lot of sticks on it and cut them en masse.

Sawbucks are fer cookie cutters, or the urban gentleman firewood cutter.

Who has time to levitate yur firewood logs?

Time you doink around puttin' yur stuff on that I'll have half a truck load bucked and ready to load!

I built one last winter. I am by no means a seasoned woodworker but if you just think about the design a minute and have a couple hours you can whip one of these up.

Yes I do live in the city, but have not gotten a manicure.......yet.

You know this is a chainsaw site right? We got builders porting saws, cutting logs/cants to see the effects of their mods. We also have guys trying out their saws that they have recently been fixed/rebuilt. We got guys that will host gtg's that will build multiple saw bucks to use at there event. And the list goes on and on. Saw bucks for city folk yuppies? I think not.

Last edited:
Not all of us country gents have a loader to put decent sized logs up on one
O' those things.

Guess it works fine fer makin' cookies, or showin' off.

I see no real purpose other than dat.

im a serious firewood hoarder. I only bother with big logs that yield the most firewood for the effort- basically stuff that has to be halfed or quartered to handle. But for those that like to post videos on here- this should be on their build list immediately. It is a lot cheaper to build than going to the emergency room to stitch up your foot.

Thanks for the intructions Brad. I dont make videos or cut cookies but Im gonna build one of these with a couple alterations to use as a hay feeder with my Boer goats.

Who doesn't like to cut a few cookies every once in a while. I'm just glad you included pictures I was worried at first when all I saw was small print. :)

Any one can look like a pro cutting stuff on a sawbuck.

In the real world the wood is often under tension/load. a real cutter has to learn to read either condition a adjust accordingly.

This is very true- I have cut hundreds of cords of wood without ever needing one. However, on AS- I see a use for a sawbuck especially for those that post videos. I think it'd work great cutting a "bunch" of peckerwood poles all at once. And it will make a fantastic hay feeder.

but Im gonna build one of these with a couple alterations to use as a hay feeder with my Boer goats.
If they are anything like mine they will appreciate the bed
you built for them.Try using hay nets like the horse folks use.

After a half-dozen or so back injuries I ain't quite as manly a man as I once was. Not nearly as quick to bend over and try to pick something heavy up from ground level either! As a result I let John(Deere) do most of the work hefting long log sections into the truck or onto the trailer.

When I get the wood to the barn it is nice to have something the same height as the truck bed or very close to it to help hold the long log sections to make them a more usable size. Never dirted a chain cutting on a sawbuck either, something I can't say about cutting up logs on the ground! The sawbuck has everything that can damage a chain well out the way making it somewhat sacrificial, fine by me.

The way I handle wood I never have to bend, squat, or reach to handle most of it. Even healthy folk will find they are more inclined to go shoot pool and party at the end of the day if they don't work harder than they have to in order to get the job done. Learned that a long time before I was hurt.

Hu

Different strokes fer different folks.

I'm sure they have their place, just not fer me personally?

Back