How to color a static line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is there any way to change the color of a static line? My line is white and I would like it to be brown or grey. I am thinking about using some ritz die but not using hot water just to see what would happen on a short piece of the line.

I am wanting to camo it up some. The white really shows up in the woods.

I wonder if a permanent marker would damage the line.

I wont cut the line. I was going to do a test on one end but only a short length from the end.

I wouldn't risk it. A couple hundred dollars is a small price to pay to KNOW that you are safe... Leave the coloring to the rope manufacturer. Check out "snakebite" by sterling rope. It's the closest I've seen to a camo line that will blend into most environments.

I took a sharpie and just hit the tops of the weave. It looks like a speckled line. From a distance it looks grey. I only needed to color about 5 feet of line but it is the end that will be supporting my weight.

If you never hear from me again, warn everyone not to use a sharpie on their line.

Last edited:
Color = Green
Thats the money spent on a new rope.
Personally I would not risk it , Save your current rope for the climbs that arent so stealthy.
As others have mentioned a couple hundred bucks is a lot less expensive than funeral arrangements.
Just my own thought , everyone has to make their own final decisions.

What is the mix ratio of water to kool-aid? I assume that unsweetened is the way to go.

Back