how to cut down 12 ft stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douggg

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i had a white pine break off at 12 foot high. probably lightning strike. trunk is over 24+ diameter.

i took all side branches off and am just left with 12 foot stump. do i crotch and back cut same as a full size tree? physics seem different here as there is not the height there. a straight cut across seems like it would not work due to weight above bar.

thanks much

Some times physics works against you on a short stick like that. A wide deep face cut, way deeper then normal, plus a rope as high as you can get it will give you the leverage you need to get it over.

I cut such stumps all the time: when Black locusts die or are broken by weather usually only stumps 12-15ft tall remain.
Cut a notch a little deeper than usual, back-cut and you are done. The last trees I've cut didn't even need wedges or ropes. All the last one required to go down after being back-cut was a hefty kick: unprofessional but satisfying.

Back