How to dissolve varnish in fuel tank?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I headed out to the garage and found a couple bottles of Berrymans B-12. That and some #8 lead shot worked wonders. Thanks guys. I would have never though of the lead shot.

Glad it worked out, may have to give it a shot after while.

I would have never though of the lead shot.

That's an old tractor restorer's trick--shot, BBs, bolts, nuts, chain. Anything loose in the fuel tank and rattle it around. Some guys would strap the tank to the back of a lawn mower, and mow their yard and let the tank rattle. Some guys have strapped the tank to a tractor wheel jacked in the air, and let it rotate slowly for a while. Course, chainsaw tanks are much smaller so you don't have to go to those extremes.

Chris B.

Thanks Jerry, I'll have to grab some. also, Princess Auto carries Kleen-Flo products, I'll check and see if they carry it too. I use Kleen-Flo diesel additive and that's where I get it....

You are correct, the stores are now owned and run by NAPA, so if there are NAPA stores state side they should be able to bring it in to individual stores unless it is a banned substance, you know EPA and all that stuff.

Pioneerguy600

I have used this product for over 15 years on a lot of saws and other two stroke mix tanks and carbs, it is an industrial strength cleaner and will strip 1/4" of the worst varnish from a metal tank or carb usually overnight. I have not used it on the nylon/plastic tanks as yet but I don`t think it would harm them.

alaska%202010%20188.jpg

This stuff just cleaned up a RA that Dan Can had given me, there was at least 1/4" of varnish and goo in that tank and the carb was totally seized with that guck. They are now sparkling clean, just set overnight.

Pioneerguy600

What parts stores have this stuff available??

Combustion Chamber Conditioner.Invented by Chrysler for carbon in the old 2.2's.They still sell it in a spray can as do some auto parts stores.Make sure you get that name so you don't end up with a carb cleaner.Soak overnight and you're done.It works wonders on brass carb jets.After a overnight soak they come out clear and shiny new looking.

Have you ever tried it Chris? I can`t believe how good this product dissolves everything inside these 40+ year old chainsaw tanks and carbs. I need to get another 4 cans so I don`t run out in the near future.

No I haven't Jerry. The last one I had to scrub I just used carb cleaner and elbow grease, but I saw a can of that stuff at Napa not long ago and I think I'll get some after your review.

No I haven't Jerry. The last one I had to scrub I just used carb cleaner and elbow grease, but I saw a can of that stuff at Napa not long ago and I think I'll get some after your review.

You won`t regret it if you can get a gallon, it will even remove carbon from piston crowns and the top of the cylinder, remember to plug the sparkplug hole.

Last edited:
Gotta find something like this. Messing with quite a few ATV carbs and the jets are clogged, and there is nothing around that can clean them out. Torch tip cleaners are way to big. So far just carb cleaner, ultra sonic and compressed air(until they fly across the shop)

Any Chemists on hand?
Saw the data sheet for the kleen-flo and it sorta looks like paint stripper
with a dose of lye thrown in.

Wouldn't recommend anyone try doing that willy nilly.
If mixed wrong, caustic soda or lye will boil very nastily
(kinda like those mentos and coke bombs)
and blow some fast blistering stuff onto you.

I did milling work in one shop that used caustics and acids
to remove damaged aluminum or magnesium
from industrial electric motors,
It's serious stuff to work with.

Any Chemists on hand?
Saw the data sheet for the kleen-flo and it sorta looks like paint stripper
with a dose of lye thrown in.

Wouldn't recommend anyone try doing that willy nilly.
If mixed wrong, caustic soda or lye will boil very nastily
(kinda like those mentos and coke bombs)
and blow some fast blistering stuff onto you.

I did milling work in one shop that used caustics and acids
to remove damaged aluminum or magnesium
from industrial electric motors,
It's serious stuff to work with.

I certainly would never recommend getting any of this product on yourself, wear good liquid proof gloves and eye protection at least, a clear face shield preferred when pouring or handling this liquid.I can attest that it burns/ blisters bare skin.

I've been using the regular "Gunk" carb cleaner out of the gallon can along with 1/4 nuts. You count the nuts as you put them in and use a magnet to retrieve them and then count them again. I think the sharp corners and points on the nuts tend to bite and cut the varnish a little better than round objects.

I saw a guy make a tank cleaner out of lag chain for hanging old flourescant lite fixtures. He welded it onto a hex drive and ran it on the the cordless drill. He was using it to clean motorcycle tanks.

I've been using the regular "Gunk" carb cleaner out of the gallon can along with 1/4 nuts. You count the nuts as you put them in and use a magnet to retrieve them and then count them again. I think the sharp corners and points on the nuts tend to bite and cut the varnish a little better than round objects.

I like the hex nut idea, will have to try that.

Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but looking for advice. The magnesium tank on my PM 270 has a layer of verrrry old black tar in the bottom that while it seems to not be coming loose and causing problems, i would like to remove if possible. The saw also still has the original 60 year old rubber fuel line in the tank that i would prefer to not dissolve, i was wondering what everyone might recommend trying?

Chris mentioned attaching one to tractor wheel to rotate it slowly, I built a fixture to rotate the tank slowly in my mini lathe. Add a healthy dose of BB's and let it run one hour in one direction, one hour going the other way. Add some solvent or even one of the water/ammonia based cleaners (Purple Power, etc.) and let it work.

20180224_162641.jpg

20180224_160435.jpg

I haven't tried the Berryman's on a fuel tank but it work pretty well on cylinders and mufflers if you let it soak for a few days. I bought mine at Walmart.

DSC06667.JPG

Mark

Thanks Mark, do you know if the Berrymans is safe on rubber parts?

I usually don't care about changing fuel lines, but in this case it would likely require removing the carb and other things I'd rather not disturb on the old saw.

Latest posts

Back