How to dry a Red Oak...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mndlawn

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need to remove a Red Oak on the shoreline of a lake. Their is no way to get a machine in to bring the logs up to the driveway as it is a very steep embankment. I have permission to float the log on the lake to a different area to remove and process it, but, it doesn't float. Apparently water weight 62.3 lbs/sq ft and Red Oak weights 64 lbs/sq ft. So I need to loose 1.7 lbs per cubic foot, quickly. The tree is still standing, it is about 20" DBH, 45' tall . I have girdled it but I don't think its going to dry quick enough. Any suggestions.

I need to remove a Red Oak on the shoreline of a lake. Their is no way to get a machine in to bring the logs up to the driveway as it is a very steep embankment. I have permission to float the log on the lake to a different area to remove and process it, but, it doesn't float. Apparently water weight 62.3 lbs/sq ft and Red Oak weights 64 lbs/sq ft. So I need to loose 1.7 lbs per cubic foot, quickly. The tree is still standing, it is about 20" DBH, 45' tall . I have girdled it but I don't think its going to dry quick enough. Any suggestions.
Tie empty jugs to it. Air weighs .0807 lbs/ cubic foot.

Sounds like a match made in heaven:
Log conveniently placed along the shore needs to go away. It won't float. What is the problem again :laugh:

More seriously, adding floats sounds like a good idea. Maybe some old boat bumpers?

Innertubes. Balloons? How far are you taking it? How rough/deep is the water? Put on yer waders, grab a buddy, submerge it andimage%3A20220.jpg

I recovered sunken wood from a river a few years back. Right at 100 years old. Overflow from a sawmill. Logs that washed past then sank and are buried in the mud. I found where they were and dug a few up. Waterlogged and wouldn't float obviously. But just barely. I had a 21 ft flat bottom with a 235 Evinrude with an outboard jet. Placed a short log on each side of the boat. Drove in a couple of eye bolts in each end and tied the logs to each side. Kinda like outrigger pontoons. Wouldn't want to get on plane and run 60 mph but a fast idle and down river we were back at the ramp in a few minutes. Then winch them up on a trailer.

Latest posts

Back