How to get end cap off log slitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, i posted in home-owner forum. they said to post here or logger forum...So here goes,, I have a didier log splitter....The seal where the piston comes out leak's, so I removed the locking ring/wire to take off the end cap...the cap slide's forward about 1 inch and stop's dead.. I can see what look's like a rubber 0 ring through the slot where i took out the locking wire but it just will not slide forward... I tried a brass punch,,,I tried a come-a-long.. I even tried a 3 ton bottle jack with a cable around the flange of the end cap but broke the cable..is the suchion that strong?? Am i missing something?? They say not to use air but i'm seriously thinking about a 30-40 psi blow...Any help would be great...Thank's, Darren..

You mentioned suction, you have emptied the cyl bore of fluid and have the ports plugs out dont you. Is the rod extended all the way. Are you sure you have removed all of the locking ring. If you have the locking ring completely removed, and the cap all the way unscrewed, you should be able to just use the cyl rod as a slide hammer and bump the cap out. If the ports are capped, you could see some suction effects as you pull the rod out and it would be a positive seal. If both ports are capeed, the pistion side is creating a vaccum and the rod side is creating compression and it could be hard to overcome both effects.

I rebuilt mine last year and if I remember correctly then once that locking ring comes out- the piston slides out. Not sure what size cylinder you have but I have the part numbers to completely rebuild the cylinder if it would help.

What I believe is happening is as the cap is being pulled the o-ring falls into the lock ring groove. A shallow temporary filler ring must be installed in the lock ring groove to allow the o-ring to jump the gap.
Here is a video explaining what is require to jump that gap.Click on how to assemble a wire ring cylinder.

http://www.monarchindustries.com/vvideos.php

Back