How to get Poulan 245A spur sprocket off WITHOUT tool?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 119840

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A quick question: Can I do this without the Poulan tool for this? A flathead screwdriver and a hammer didn't seem to do it... or maybe I'm wrong?

What I do sometimes is stick 2 strong bolts through the holes, so that there is about an inch sticking up, and use adjustable pliers to turn the two

Not very easy to do without the tool and I don't like to see it done that way. Your clutch spider is the round flat one with 2 holes in it correct?

I understand where your at, it might not be easy to get the tool but you can make one pretty easily.

Take a piece of steel flat bar about 3/16"- 1/4" thick, about a foot long, drill two holes in one end of it to match the holes in the clutch spider and put 2 hard pins in the flat bar.

You now have a pin wrench to take the clutch off. You will have to block the piston from moving, I remove the spark plug and insert a piece of starter rope with knots tied in it every few inches. The clutch comes off clockwise.

Not very easy to do without the tool and I don't like to see it done that way. Your clutch spider is the round flat one with 2 holes in it correct?

I understand where your at, it might not be easy to get the tool but you can make one pretty easily.

Take a piece of steel flat bar about 3/16"- 1/4" thick, about a foot long, drill two holes in one end of it to match the holes in the clutch spider and put 2 hard pins in the flat bar.

You now have a pin wrench to take the clutch off. You will have to block the piston from moving, I remove the spark plug and insert a piece of starter rope with knots tied in it every few inches. The clutch comes off clockwise.
Mark nailed it :) beating isn't good on stuff

Once again, thanks all for your helpful replies. I will see what I can do today about this, as it is dawn here now. I will go to my uncle today who is into forestry. Won't hurt to see what he can do about it :)

Mark, I will check and see if there is a tool for spur sprockets close to where I live.

Back