How to get repair work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesv842

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
You guys may have seen my post from yesterday. I'm a mechanic looking for work. I have already been trying cold calls to tree services. I think there is a landscapers convention next month that I'll be going to. Does anyone have any more advice?

Throw out a shingle. Get signs made, post on coffee shop walls, use Craigslist and Facebook. Start working on friend's equipment and use them as word of mouth. A lot of professionals bring their equipment back to the dealer they bought it from.

Pass out a bunch of cards. You have to be on the radar when a repair is needed, which might not be today.

Possibly offer free or discounted diagnostic services for a first time client???

In my area, good mechanics are very hard to come by...Mobile mechanics, even harder. We have a two week wait almost every time we bring a truck into the shop. It wouldn't be hard to build a good list of tree service clients here.

See if there is a local arborist's association in your area and join it.. Go to their meetings and let them know you exist.

Find out where the local Utility tree service contractors are staging their equipment and go talk to the General Foreman one morning.

Act like your customers are a top priority and make yourself available when they need you for emergency work. Have a couple spare chipper tires mounted on wheels on hand and know how to repair hydraulic hoses.

If you can repair stuff really quickly the cost shouldn't be a real issue, within reason, of course.

Good Luck!

Where is somewhere I can go to talk to a lot of arborists? The only place I know they'll be is a dealer/saw shop. I doubt they'll let me advertise there or bother their clients. I'm not really seeing any local arborist or ISA conferences either.

Google or use the yellow pages. Stuff will come up. Look for Tree guy, arborist, pruning. Then send out flyers to them.

Go meet folks. Send a post card. Call a few (nobody likes cold calls, but I'd be a lot more patient with a local micro-business owner than I am with robo-calls from who knows where).

Latest posts

Back