How to make my "splitter scraps" pile decay faster??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huh. Do they not allow campfires too?

I burn all my trash too, either in the shop stove or in a burn barrel. There is a garbage truck that comes by, but it's $30 a month I see no reason to spend. We might have a 10 gal kitchen can bag a week though, so don't make a ton of trash.

Everybody is saying to mix with grass clipping to improve the carbon:nitrogen ration for faster composting. Lots of folks bag their grass clippings anyways and end up dumping them in the edge of the woods or in a compost pile, if you have wood chips and are going to bag your clipping anyways, it makes sense to mix them together to make compost.

On another note, removing grass clippings from a lawn removes 90% of any fertilizer applications one might have made in an effort to improve their lawn. 70% of all the nutrients a tree contains is held in the outer 2-3 inches of the tree. The woody part of the tree is actually a pretty poor food source for microbes. Mixing the grass clipping with the bark and small wood chips to convert into compost and then applying that compost on ones lawn is a pretty good organic strategy.

Something that hasn't been mentioned sofar is that speeding up the process is also done by repeatedly adding some topsoil earth in a sandwich type layering technique to the pile is also very good for composting.

I just pick up the bigger stuff and throw it in the fire or start fires with it.
The little stuff gets thrown in dips and holes in the yard or the garden.
I have about 40 gal drum of it now trying to get rid of so I can get my can back.
It works great to warm up the shop a bit in the spring to keep the tools from sweating,
Chad

Back