How to make people slow down while working roadside.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throw stuff............I've found that to work well when flagging or on narrow roads. Brush one up against the traffic would probly do er too

At the phone co placing cable we had one flagger would slap her sign on your hood if ya didnt slow down!!
She also kept rocks in her pockets,,,,
Yup everybody should experience working roadside,, lots of Ahole drivers out there!!!
Seen a flaggers car hit, then the semi drove away, then she runs ,,now we have a boom truck on a hwy with no flagger in the summer!!!
Good luck getting them to slow!!
You dont look cute enough to flag,,,need more red/green stuff on to.
BBB

When we put cones out on the road a lot of people speed up. They interpret the symbolic suggestion that they should slow down as an affront to their right to act as an individual, so they hit the gas to remind everyone and themselves that they are free.

Idiots. :buttkick:

I used to always have trouble with cars hitting my traffic cones and speeding by my work area. Now I slide a sledgehammer handle down the centre of the cone with the hammer up. Leaves a nice dent in the hood.

Park this sideways in the road and make them find another way around
IMG_2072.JPG

On a more serious note I've had people drive right around my cones on a residential street when it would have literally taken one block worth of detour to go around. Even with it signed noting falling limbs and road closed idiots seem to think those warnings don't apply to them. Bottom line people suck and if it's high risk have someone flag it.

I've closed down back alleys with cones/signs, trucks parked in the middle with lights on and people will drive up to the cones and look bedazzled. The old "I always drive out this way look". Even though they could see us a block away, they seem to think we'll disappear when they get there. "Well guess what sweetheart, you get to explore the other end of your alley".

An old boy I used to work somtimes with If working at the road edge or in the road, always used to take the spare wheels of the vehicles & place them in the road to just leave enough room for the passing traffic to just get by, any moaning & he made it even narrower by moving the wheels

Old thread I Know;), I found that Highway flares are Very Effective if the threat of passing vehicles is great enough, and the amount of time in position is not too great, when changing a flat tire, or Chaining the Big Rig at work, if traffic is too close, I put out some flares, and give myself AMPLE room to work in. People have a Natural respect for FIRE, and will avoid flares, where I have had them DELIBERATELY run over my triangles:eek::mad::mad:.

It's SAD:( but many people are more concerned about damaging their tires, than the Safety of another Human Being:(:(:(:(.

Doug :cheers:

We don't do roadside work, but do have people coming into our log yard during the day.

There's a sign that says to the effect of "yield to equipment". Most people have common sense and wait to be acknowledged before driving around equipment.

Have had other's with apparently a death wish go right under logs, or in front of or behind moving equipment! Couple weeks ago I nearly clipped a guy's head with a log. He came in the yard without checking in the shop and was standing in a blind spot. I backed up with some 30ft logs in the grapple, went to turn 90* and he was right there, at the end of the logs.

It scared the crap out of me, and I certainly let him know.

He seriously assumed since he could see me that I could see him! :omg:

2 years later I’m still going with the blocking the street theory. Had 2 people drive through my cones at the start of this job so I just block the entire thing to the point cones didn’t matter.
A744E623-4597-45C9-8487-59B91F4CB0E9.jpeg

I have found no way of keeping people from driving over cones and through the work zone. They will go under flagging and if we completely block the street with equipment they will come up to us and ask us to move because they need through even though they could easily drive one block around and be at their house. If I'm on the ground and I see someone coming through I'll grab a rake and hold it out towards the front of their car. They will usually stop for that even though they won't stop for falling trees. If someone could come up with a way to keep people from entering the work zone they could become rich off of it. I'd pay to find out what it was.

Back