How to measure wood (what is a cord?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Info

When I sold buck firewood in a city very few customers have room for a cord so we don't use a cord measurement. So around my area it's a pickup truck load or a rank 4ft by 16 inch by 8ft. Camp ground firewood is as long as you can get in your splitter. Which some times ends up well over a rank 4 ft by 23 inch by 8 ft. Later

Well, since we're probably gonna argue about this till the snow flies again, I'll post up what the state of MN has to say. Remember former Gov. Ventura's semi-famous quote about St Paul's street system being laid out by drunken Irishmen? I think they were working on the cord law over a few drinks as well.

How is firewood measured?
Firewood may be measured by the cubic foot, the cubic
meter, or the cord. If measured by the foot or meter, the
wood is first stacked with all pieces placed parallel to
each other. The wood is then said to be ranked. Wood
must be ranked if it is to be measured accurately. Ranking
minimizes the space between the sticks, or pieces, of
wood. Some sellers use various cross-stacking methods to
exaggerate the quantity of wood delivered. Do not
attempt to measure cross-stacked wood.

What is a cord?
A cord has a specific legal definition in Minnesota:
• One cord is 128 cubic feet in four foot lengths.
• If the wood is sawed, a cord is 110 cubic feet when
ranked, or 160 cubic feet when thrown loosely into a
truck.
• If the wood is sawed and split, a cord is 120 cubic feet
when ranked, and 175 cubic feet when thrown loosely
into a truck. (Minnesota Statutes, Section 239.33)

Must I buy my wood in cords?
No. You and the seller may enter into any agreement you
choose, but be aware that words like truckload, face cord,
rick, fireplace cord, or pile, have no legal definition. The
Weights and Measures Division cannot help you in a dispute
if the wood is not sold by the cubic foot, the cubic
meter, or the cord.

The above comes from this PDF: http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-measures/images/BuyingFirewood.pdf

Note the last paragraph. It's legal to sell wood by the rickshaw load if you want, but if selling by the cord, cu ft, or cu mtr, you'd better be accurate.

My stubborn mind believes in a full cord of firewood at 128 cu ft of split and stacked wood. Any I sell will go as such. I'm also aware that a 10 cord load of pulpwood ain't gonna come out to 10 cords of firewood, due to crooked pieces that cause more air space in the load, and I'm fine with that as well.

Well, since we're probably gonna argue about this till the snow flies again, I'll post up what the state of MN has to say. Remember former Gov. Ventura's semi-famous quote about St Paul's street system being laid out by drunken Irishmen? I think they were working on the cord law over a few drinks as well.

The above comes from this PDF: http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-measures/images/BuyingFirewood.pdf

Note the last paragraph. It's legal to sell wood by the rickshaw load if you want, but if selling by the cord, cu ft, or cu mtr, you'd better be accurate.

My stubborn mind believes in a full cord of firewood at 128 cu ft of split and stacked wood. Any I sell will go as such. I'm also aware that a 10 cord load of pulpwood ain't gonna come out to 10 cords of firewood, due to crooked pieces that cause more air space in the load, and I'm fine with that as well.

Yep, too much drink to get to a 110 or 120 cu ft cord. I suspect none of them ever stacked wood.

Harry K

Loose thrown cord, State of Maine ; Chapter 382;Section 6 (I)

They brought the firewood to the farmstead, then cut the cordwood and split to stove wood length. They restacked the wood into smaller lengths of wood that would fit together tight. So the pile was now smaller than the original size pile. The result was shrinkage. A cord cut into sixteen inch lengths would shrink by 15 percent. Twelve inch lengths would shrink by as much as 25 percent.

Using this loose measure formular below , ( i.e 12"-16";180 cu ft or 20"-24";195 cu ft) will not re-stack to a full cord (128 cu ft). This rule was originally from commencing from a stacked pile (4'x4'x8')of round logs. Once processed into 12" or 16" split pieces, and thrown loose in a container , it would occupy a space of about 180 cu ft. Acording to the University of Maine, If you take this same pile and re-stack it (this 180 cu ft loose thown pile) , it would re-stack between 100 cu ft - 107 cu ft. and the 195 cu ft pile (i.e 20" or 24") would re-stack in a space of 110 to 113 cu ft. This is what is refered to as (shrinkage factor). Therefore, If you are a consumer, and the dealer offers you firewood, using this loose thrown measure formular, expect to be short change of volumn as much as < 20% or as much as 18 - 25 cu ft. And if you are paying $ 200.00 for this loose thrown measurement (which is alittle over 3/4 of a cord), You are actually paying $256.00 per cord (128 cu ft). This loose thrown measurement formular is only excepted in the State of Maine for the sale of firewood , furthermore, it is illegal to convert from one system of measurement to another for the basis of payment.

Here you go...these numbers are a little different than I was using but not anyway near the 128 cuft measure. But you get my point.....as I said do it yourself but don't use carrots...

Try that slicing up carrots thing yet?

Harry K

So is this a cord of wood ? ,:hmm3grin2orange: 16' long, 7' high, and 24" wide

attachment.php

This is what I call a cord of wood for my own use :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

So is this a cord of wood ? ,:hmm3grin2orange: 16' long, 7' high, and 24" wide

attachment.php

This is what I call a cord of wood for my own use :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The PVC pipe don't count :laugh: Nice stack of wood :msp_thumbup:

In Delaware a true cord of wood is 128 cubic feet tightly stacked.

Delaware goes by the U.S. Dept of agriculture, weights and measures division. I'll try to post a link and a couple of photos in a bit. In my opinion someone that knowingly shorts people on a deal is a crook. In DE here they look on firewood the same as gasoline at the pump. Don't get caught shorting, it's the same fine.
http://dda.delaware.gov/pressrel/2008/100708_Fuel-Firewood-08.pdf In case that don't work I'll coppy and paste the document
Firewood
The most important thing to remember about firewood sales is that they must be measured in cords. The only
legal method of selling firewood is by the cord. According to Steve Connors, Weights and Measures Section
Administrator, "Firewood has to be sold by the cord. A cord is a volumetric measurement. Nothing else is legal."
Connors said “Many people don’t know what a cord is. Consumers really cannot tell what a cord is unless it is
stacked up and measured.
A cord of wood always measures 128 cubic feet – 128 cubic
feet of compactly stacked wood in a rectangular form. It can be
4’ X 4’ X 8’ (four feet high by four feet wide by eight feet
long). It can be 2’ X 8’ X 8’ (two feet high by eight feet wide
by eight feet long. It just has to stack up to 128 cubic feet.
The wood should be stacked with the pieces parallel to each
other. Wood stacked in a crisscross or log cabin fashion does
not meet the legal definition; and most likely the stack will
contain less wood than one that is stacked by the legal parallel
method.
Regulation prohibits the sale of firewood in unspecified quantities such as " load," "truckload," "face cord,"
"rack," or "pile." If a buyer purchases more than 100 pounds of wood, the seller is required to inform the buyer
about the cord equivalent of the purchase of firewood. Fractions of cords are allowed to be sold when identified
as such.
DDA encourages firewood consumers to follow these guidelines:
• When placing the order, ask how the seller measures the wood and make sure those standards are precise
and accurate.
• Don't assume terms such as truckload, face cord, rack or pile guarantee the amount of firewood is a cord.
• Don't pay for the wood unless it has been stacked and measured.
If you are a first time buyer, ask people you know to recommend sellers with whom they've had positive business
dealings.
• Always get a receipt with the seller's name, address and telephone number, and the price, amount and
kind of wood bought. Write down the license number of the delivery vehicle.
• Take a picture of the stack if you think there is less than a cord.
Don’t burn any wood if you believe you have a problem. Contact the seller first.

Lotta criminals runnin' loose.
Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan get a pass from Obama's DOJ, but the guy who shirted somebody the equivalent of a dollar on a $160 transaction they'll likely hound to the gates of hell. Not condoning the rip off either way, just sayin'... they must've caught all of the real criminals.

To answer what a cord of wood is to me.

I sell a my truck full as a cord, 8 ft long mason dump by 7 ft wide and 3 ft high sides and I fill it to the top and then some.

The usual look on a customer's face once I get there is :msp_ohmy: I have to stack all this :bang:

Not all the crooks are in jail

They don't bother the man who makes an honest mistake, I think Mark told me they allow 10% under once in a while. It's the fly by nighters who try to tell you that a cord of wood fits in their F150 pick up and it isn't even over the bed. They are the ones they make examples of. Gas stations must be within specs or they shut them down immediately till all pumps are calibrated correctly. An ounce on a gallon don't sound like much, but think about them selling ,many thousands of gallons in a month, and it ads up.

Let the buyer beware.... Seen all kinds of hinkey stuff around here as well. Like the "log cabin" cords. This were the cord looks full sized from the outside, but the interior of the stack is hollow or fluffy. Once they dump it (these usually come already stacked in a dump trailer) got their money, they disappear like a rain in a dry wash around here. Seems like alot of the sellers also take people out to a pile of splits on the ground and declare "thats a cord". My eye is not that well calibrated to judge wood in a loose pile.

Latest posts

Back