How to plug a hole in a tree....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
expanding foam should do the trick.

have you ever taken out a tree with foam in it? i did one about 2 weeks ago and i had some extra time so i bisected the cavity (first time I got a chance with foam to do so) it held alot of moisture and seemed to promote rot even more, we use to fill them with foam as well... up until about 2 weeks ago haha, it was a good little learning experience

I was conversing with a friend of mine with more credentials then i can list, (he's forgot more then most of us would ever hope to learn in his many years doing so and studied under shigo himself in his earlier day) and he says that for the most part he just cover it with a steal mesh to keep animals out and leaves the cavity open to alow for proper air flow, a drain whole could be added if the situation requires it. but every situation is different and really its the situation that depicts what you should do.

I'm not critisising in anyway this is just a little food for thought, it changed my outlook on it

What's going on here? Is this thread from the seventies????? Have you ever read a book about proper tree care practices? Don't fill cavities.

Lots of these threads appear to be from the sixties or seventies. There is a logger on here that post things that would fit more in the twenties.

have you ever taken out a tree with foam in it? i did one about 2 weeks ago and i had some extra time so i bisected the cavity (first time I got a chance with foam to do so) it held alot of moisture and seemed to promote rot even more, we use to fill them with foam as well... up until about 2 weeks ago haha, it was a good little learning experience

I was conversing with a friend of mine with more credentials then i can list, (he's forgot more then most of us would ever hope to learn in his many years doing so and studied under shigo himself in his earlier day) and he says that for the most part he just cover it with a steal mesh to keep animals out and leaves the cavity open to alow for proper air flow, a drain whole could be added if the situation requires it. but every situation is different and really its the situation that depicts what you should do.

I'm not critisising in anyway this is just a little food for thought, it changed my outlook on it

A drain hole opens for the rot to spred through the sound wood you've drilled in.

Water standing in a trunk gives little supply of oxygen, and not to good growing conditions for most ungus and bacteria. (Allthough you may get a smelly and foullooking water) A drained hole will change between dry, wet and damp. Good conditions for fungus and bacterias to spread.

I would scope the hole out for Raccoons first. Then you could just nail some wire mesh over the hole to keep stuff out. You could also get a tree climbing mason to do a nice brick job on it or something?

I would go for the removal if the hole is half the diameter of the trunk:cheers:

A drain hole opens for the rot to spred through the sound wood you've drilled in.

Water standing in a trunk gives little supply of oxygen, and not to good growing conditions for most ungus and bacteria. (Allthough you may get a smelly and foullooking water) A drained hole will change between dry, wet and damp. Good conditions for fungus and bacterias to spread.

very good point, didnt really think that through myself, i guess it would be like when they pull up old sunken logs from the bottom of a lake, and they are still like new because there was no air for the fungus to grow.

Here is a picture of an old 'hole' I cut off a tree on Thursday. Callus tissue from an old pruning cut that had not completely closed over.
It came from a Poinciana...on the side of a large limb that had to be taken off from overhanging a new roof and new commercial A/C units.

There were other factors that called for the removal of the limb, damage further down at the lower attachment, contruction damage to roots...

Interesting to see how the 'hole' compartmentalized...and it was old, see the lichen growing on the outside? Some of the bark was knocked off when it hit the ground...exposing the woundwood fibres, on the backside you can see what I assume to be wall 4...the dark line that was the size of the branch at the time it was removed...then the ring of woundwood/callus tissue that curled inwards, with the wood present at the time of the cut subsequently rotting away...

Further down the branch the wood was completely sound.

Cool huh?

Drainhole bad. Holding water, good sign.

Pics of the tree in question.

Feedback appreciated.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There are more things going on with that tree than just the original hole we started talking about.
I don't like the look of that crack at the fork, or the damage further up the branch...
Not to mention other stubs with poor callus wood develpment.
I think its worth looking at the BIG picture and start adding up ALL the issues and possible solutions...from pruning to takedown...

What's going on here? Is this thread from the seventies????? Have you ever read a book about proper tree care practices? Don't fill cavities.

Never say never. I saw one tree that was a home for bee hives. Its about the only tree that filling a hole came to mind for as a solution.

Me ... I'd just have to see the tree, and decide if there is a good reason. The reason possibilities are pretty minimal though.

If I was going to fill a hole, say to prevent unwanted habitat, I'd use the black pond foam used for water features. Its flexible but more rugged.

:)

Last edited:
There are more things going on with that tree than just the original hole we started talking about.
I don't like the look of that crack at the fork, or the damage further up the branch...
Not to mention other stubs with poor callus wood develpment.
I think its worth looking at the BIG picture and start adding up ALL the issues and possible solutions...from pruning to takedown...

:agree2:

Bad-looking fork. Probe in the hole and if rot is deep then all the more reason to cable. yes this tree needs a lot more than a hole plugged.

I've always been amazed how things have changed in our industry in the last 40 years or so. It seem like everything are grandfathers did to help trees did more damage then good. We've came a long way.
What surprises me is that some of these practices, filling cavitys, bricking cavitys(Ive only seen that in old books),drilling drain holes, scraping out hollows, are still being suggested. How did trees survive so long without our help? Beast

attachment.php

There appears to be some cause for concern on the mid portion of the right limb. I would want to look at that further.

How about some picts or descriptions of targets? If it is in the middle of a protected and untraveled field....leave the poor guy alone.

Excellent posts Bermie.

Never say never. I saw one tree that was a home for bee hives. Its about the only tree that filling a hole came to mind for as a solution.

Me ... I'd just have to see the tree, and decide if there is a good reason. The reason possibilities are pretty minimal though.

If I was going to fill a hole, say to prevent unwanted habitat, I'd use the black pond foam used for water features. Its flexible but more rugged.

:)
I have been filling them with pyrachma cells,sieve tube elements and wood glue and so far its working:monkey: Nahhhhhh, usually filled with sawchain round here:cheers:

This has been a good thread..

So am I to assume that creating a drain generally does more harm than good?

When my ex took the oral part of the CT arborist exam she said they asked her about a cavity with water in it. I beleive she said to drill a hole and install a drain. I dont know.. they passed her.

This has been a good thread..

So am I to assume that creating a drain generally does more harm than good?

When my ex took the oral part of the CT arborist exam she said they asked her about a cavity with water in it. I beleive she said to drill a hole and install a drain. I dont know.. they passed her.

you are breaking compartmentalization walls and therefore giving access to new spaces to pathogens. You have to look at the lesser of evils. This coming from one that has installed many drains (wetwood as well) until I met Shigo.

you are breaking compartmentalization walls and therefore giving access to new spaces to pathogens. You have to look at the lesser of evils. This coming from one that has installed many drains (wetwood as well) until I met Shigo.

Yeah, I was agreeing with the no drill idea.

That one post by norway climber seemed to make a lot of sense (to me anyway).

Back