How to protect myself working on a rental property

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ffmech17

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm bidding a removal at a rental house that the landlord is on a round the world expedition and has the tenant take care of repairs and such. Apparently the landlord lined up two different companies to remove this tree that both fell through. Now the landlord is out of the country so the tenant is working on getting the tree removed, he told me to give him a bill and he'd email it to the landlords for the ok. How do you guys recommend I cover my hind end that the landlord is in fact ok'ing the removal?

I'm bidding a removal at a rental house that the landlord is on a round the world expedition and has the tenant take care of repairs and such. Apparently the landlord lined up two different companies to remove this tree that both fell through. Now the landlord is out of the country so the tenant is working on getting the tree removed, he told me to give him a bill and he'd email it to the landlords for the ok. How do you guys recommend I cover my hind end that the landlord is in fact ok'ing the removal?
That is some story there. I would be careful. Email it to him on a round the world trip? :dizzy:

I need to clarify, a friend of mines general contractor business has done and does work on this property mostly small stuff and gets paid so I feel ok-ish there. My bigger concern is how should I cover myself if I get the go ahead from the landlord at the tenants word? I'm just looking to make sure I don't get a letter from a lawyer saying you cut down my clients tree etc...

I would probably get a signed contract from the tennant. If the payment falls through then he is on the hook to make sure you get paid. The landlord is still on the hook because a lean would be against the property he owns. If you are worried about the owner not knowing you should talk to the owner and verify the price so you can get an ok from him. You can discuss when you can expect to be paid. If the tennant has the checkbook already then dont worry about the details, the owner doesnt want to be bothered.

There should be a provision in your contract that the tenant confirms he/she has authority to enter into the contract and verbally remind them of ramifications of falsifying contracts (could=free rent from the State for a couple of years). IF the landlord comes home and sues you because they didn't want the tree removed, you hang any losses on the tenant and once you have your money, hand it over to the prosecutor's office.

Does not sound good. all commercial work should have a signature on signed work order. Don't trust the "tenants word" At least his signature on the work order is documentation that you both have discussed the job and payment terms. Personally I won't even look at a job unless I'm dealing with the owner of the property.

There should be a provision in your contract that the tenant confirms he/she has authority to enter into the contract and verbally remind them of ramifications of falsifying contracts (could=free rent from the State for a couple of years). IF the landlord comes home and sues you because they didn't want the tree removed, you hang any losses on the tenant and once you have your money, hand it over to the prosecutor's office.
Exactly. The tenant needs to be made responsible. Cover your ass with paper. 1/4 down and remainder due upon day of completion, NO EXCEPTIONS. You gotta be rigid in when the situation is vague. Any self respecting business man or woman will respect that. If he has a problem with signing a contract then there's your red flag.

Latest posts

Back