How to screw up a good chain!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralawler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I used my full skip full chisel chain for about a day. It got ran in the dirt severial times. pretty dull when I changed it. Now this is about the fourth sharpening for this chain. Only way I sharpen it is at work on a saw chain grinder. This time instead of changeing the grider stone to one with a good sqare profile, I used what was on there which was one that was pretty rounded. Boy did i screw up. Chain will cut but not nearly as good. Now i know why you don't use a round file to sharpen this type chain. I am going to resharpen again with proper stone hope I can save it.:buttkick:

you need an entirely different grinder to do square chisel chain.
not just the wheel...

like Silvey, Simington, no cheap options, prices start at $800 range

Well, I used my full skip full chisel chain for about a day. It got ran in the dirt severial times. pretty dull when I changed it. Now this is about the fourth sharpening for this chain. Only way I sharpen it is at work on a saw chain grinder. This time instead of changeing the grider stone to one with a good sqare profile, I used what was on there which was one that was pretty rounded. Boy did i screw up. Chain will cut but not nearly as good. Now i know why you don't use a round file to sharpen this type chain. I am going to resharpen again with proper stone hope I can save it.:buttkick:

you need an entirely different grinder to do square chisel chain.
not just the wheel...

like Silvey, Simington, no cheap options, prices start at $800 range

I did not know this !!! thanks It never cut as good as new after the frist sharpening.

can u file them with a straight mill bastard file?

Sure.......Hahahahahahahaha!

images.jpg

Last edited:
that's only true, if you don't know how to sharpen properly.

my hand filed round tooth chain cuts better than new.
a properly ground square chain cuts much faster than a new square chain.

you need a special file to do square chain. two types available. one is triangular shape, other looks like a flat file with two angle sides.

filing a square chain by hand is done only by a few folks. I'm a hack at it, takes me 15-20 minutes per chain or way too long. vs 2-3 minutes on a properly setup square grinder.

for me.. a properly ground square chisel chain cuts much faster (25%?) than round chain.

I did not know this !!! thanks It never cut as good as new after the frist sharpening.

Last edited:
There are three types of files. A flat double bevel, a triangle double bevel, and a goofy file. The goofy has rounded edges and is a little more forgiving on your inside corner when you are learning to file square chain. I don't like the triangle file much. The better you get, you will like the flat bevel.

Just now geting back to a computer. Cut tell late last night and all day today
I really thank every one for there advice. I think I'll get some kind of sharpening setup before I order any more of this chain Thanks again.
AL

You can just sharpen it round and it will be fine not as good as square but the same as any other round ground full chisel chain

if you want a square grinder be prepared to open up you checkbook and take out a loan VERY!!!!!!!! expensive

my hand filed round tooth chain cuts better than new.
+1 I Take a new chain before I use it, and take the little knob off the bottom of the gulet. Than lower the rakers to .030. Cuts real good after that:chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

Back