how to tell which Walbro HDA carb you have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royta

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
grew up near Yreka, CA and am now living in Morgan
My Jonsered 525 has a Walbro HDA carb. I can't get it to tune right, so I was thinking of rebuilding the carb. However, there are quite a few different Kxx-HDA rebuild kits for the HDA carbs.

It is marked HDA on the side, and has a very small "3" stamped under the HDA. Under the 3, there is a very small "L4" stamped. Any ideas?

How do I tell which rebuild kit I need without first knowing exactly which of the gazillions of HDA carbs I have? There is also a K22-HDA kit and a K12-HDA kit. How do you know it's not one of those I need? I'd really like to know exactly which HDA I have before buying a kit.

There are plenty of HDA carbs to choose from, HERE.

Last edited:
If the K10-HDA kit is nla then the K20-HDA kit will work for your application. I know PEST has worked on quite a few of these carbs and I've been through a few dozen of them myself. The K10/20-HDA kit covers about 85% of all the HDA carbs ever made.

I'm not sure if my local dealer had a K20 kit or not. I know they had a K12, but I didn't get it because I thought, according to his book, I needed a K22. I've been in the shop a lot lately, ogling over the 361, 440, and 441 saws, and having them price this and that for me. I owe them the sale of the K20 kit if they have it. If they don't, I'll be PM'ing you PEST. Let me know which used 20" bars you have in THIS pattern.

Walbro HDA rebuild kits

Carb that uses K22-HDA rebuild kit - LINK
Carb that uses K20-HDA rebuild kit - LINK
Carb that uses K12-HDA rebuild kit - LINK

According to Becky Dearling @ Walbro, the "3" stamped under the HDA means it's a HDA 3-1 and takes the K22-HDA rebuild kit. My dealer only has the K12-HDA. Several folks have said the K20-HDA covers almost all the HDA's out there, including mine. Becky Dearling @ Walbro said that in the links above, the parts with a * and a ** next to them are included in the K rebuild kit. The D rebuild kit only comes with the ** pieces.

K22-HDA comes with:

• 16-42 - Screen Retainer Ring
  • 82-82 - Inlet Needle Valve
  • 88-171 - Welch Plug
  • 92-218 - Metering Diaphragm Gasket
  • 92-193 - Fuel Pump Gasket
  • no p/n listed - Circuit Plate Gasket - not included in kit - not necessary for my carb
  • 95-119 - Fuel Pump Diaphragm
  • no p/n listed - Fuel Pump Diaphragm - Perhaps some carbs use two Fuel Pump Diaphragms, but mine only uses one?
  • 95-552 - Metering Diaphragm Assembly
  • 140-70 - Fuel Inlet Screen
  • 140-69 - Check Valve Screen
  • 166-61 - Metering Lever

K20-HDA comes with:

• no p/n listed - Screen Retainer Ring - not included in kit, but my carb needs this.
  • 82-82 - Inlet Needle Valve - matches my carb
  • 88-171 - Welch Plug - matches my carb
  • 92-295 - Metering Diaphragm Gasket - does not match my carb
  • 92-193 - Fuel Pump Gasket - matches my carb
  • no p/n listed - Circuit Plate Gasket - not included in kit - not necessary for my carb
  • 95-119 - Fuel Pump Diaphragm - matches my carb
  • no p/n listed - Fuel Pump Diaphragm - Perhaps some carbs use two Fuel Pump Diaphragms, but this carb only uses one?
  • 95-552 - Metering Diaphragm Assembly - matches my carb
  • 140-70 - Fuel Inlet Screen - matches my carb
  • no p/n listed - Check Valve Screen - not included in kit, but my carb needs this
  • 166-61 - Metering Lever - matches my carb

K12-HDA comes with:

• 16-42 - Screen Retainer Ring - matches my carb
  • 82-82 - Inlet Needle Valve - matches my carb
  • 88-171 - Welch Plug - matches my carb
  • 92-218 - Metering Diaphragm Gasket - matches my carb
  • 92-193 - Fuel Pump Gasket - matches my carb
  • 95-119 - Fuel Pump Diaphragm - matches my carb
  • no p/n listed - Fuel Pump Diaphragm - Perhaps some carbs use two Fuel Pump Diaphragms, but this carb only uses one?
  • 95-558 - Metering Diaphragm Assembly - does not match my carb
  • 140-70 - Fuel Inlet Screen - matches my carb
  • 140-70 - Check Valve Screen - matches my carb
  • 166-61 - Metering Lever - matches my carb

Summary of K20-HDA - There are two items missing and one item that is incorrect for my carb.
Summary of K12-HDA - There is one item that is incorrect for my carb.

It appears the K22 kit is more complete and contains two more parts than the K20 kit. Can somebody shed some light on the actual differences in the parts that are different between the kits? Can somebody shed some light on the parts that are missing in the K20 kit, that apparently I need for my carb and are included in the K22 kit?

Last edited:
Kee ripes man

Walbro has changed up there kit parts list again

I have made in US (Winderosa) kit that has all the parts that you list in the 22 kit (both screens and the retainer ring and welsh plug/ check valve) as well as two different inlet needles, lever, lever pin and the proper metering diaphram for your application as well as new adjustment screw o ring seals.

This kit covers pretty much all the different HDAs and I must have confused the K-12 with the K-22

The kit I have is a blend between the 22 and the 20 with the parts from both except it only has one metering diaphram which works on both types.

The two different fuel pump diaphrams and the two different inlet needles are for two different types so one kit fits many different applications.

Looks like Walbro has changed some part numbers-

# 92-295 - Metering Diaphragm Gasket - does not match my carb - This used to be the same in the K10/20 kits, and also the K22.

140-69 - Check Valve Screen - I can almost guarantee you won't be replacing this part.

16-42 - Screen Retainer Ring - likewise on this part too.

Good job on getting this updated info Royta!

I'm wondering if p/n 95-558 and 95-552 is the same part, just like how the p/n's for the Metering Diaphragm Gasket are different, but supposedly the same. If so, then the K12 and K22 are identical rebuild kits. You know how the K10 went away in favor of the K20? I'm wondering if the K12 has gone away in favor of the K22, and my dealer just happens to have some K12 stock. If that's the case, I should just pick up the K12 from my dealer. However, I'm a bit leary, because I'm guessing the Metering Diaphragm Gasket is a rather important part, and effects, you guessed it, the metering of the carb.

Those are questions for Walbro to answer

Hopefully you will get better answers from them than I ever have in my better than thirty years of dealing with them.

And par the course as soon as you think you have information and know what parts are in what kits .......it changes.

You get used to it in this business

I found a local Stihl shop in a town I was working in today. They had both the K20-HDA and K22-HDA. The K20 was dated 04/xx/06 and the K22 was dated 09/xx/03. The K20 had far more parts in it than the K22. On the K20, both the Metering Diaphragm Assembly and Metering Diaphragm Gasket had an extra hole in one of the corners. At the shop, I pulled the bottom cover off of my carb, and it did not have a provision for the extra hole, so I picked up the K22.

It goes to show how wrong the parts list is on the Walbro website. According to the website, the K20 and K22 had matching part numbers for the Metering Diaphragm Assembly, but when you held both kits in your hands, you could tell they were different parts.

How nice and easy it must be for saw shops to use the right part.

Latest posts

Back