ArboristSite.com Sponsors

How to tow with a 7.3 Powerstroke

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by wood4heat, Feb 1, 2010.

1. wood4heat

wood4heat Addicted to ArboristSite

I recently picked up a 2003 F350 with the 7.3 Powerstroke and am about to pull my first good load with it. With my old 1/2 ton I always pulled in 3rd just to make life a little easier for the trans. Is that a good idea with a 1 ton as well or should I leave it in overdrive as long as it's not shifting back and forth? Hwy speeds in 3rd seem to turn a lot of rpm's.

Ironbark likes this.
  2. gink595

gink595 Banned

I pull a Bobcat and gooseneck with mine maybe 13,000 lbs. I leave it on OD unless it's wanting to go in and out of OD and then I will shut OD off, other than that it stays in OD, I have put over 200K on it before I needed a tranny.

Of course Northern Indiana might be a LOT flatter than where you are and that makes a big difference:cheers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
    Art Vandelay and little possum like this.
  3. Ductape

Ductape Addicted to ArboristSite

I'm with Gink........ when i'm pulling a load of firewood on the highway, i'm in OD. Rural roads where it wants to shift in and out of OD, i lock the OD out and tow in third.

4. wood4heat

Kinda what I figured but still wanted some opinions before I burnt up a tranny.

Thanks

5. catman963

catman963 AboristSite Guru

:agree2: Yea you guys got it right

I lock it out of Overdrive on back roads, or whenever I'm not going to exceed about 50mph...... On the highway - OD is fine.

Like was already said - the thing you want to avoid is it hunting back and forth, in and out of OD......

Honestly - if you are going to be doing a LOT of towing - it would prolly be worth beefing up the trans BEFORE you have a problem!! A REAL trans temp gauge is also a big plus for towing - cuz that gauge on the dash for the trans temp - is nothing more than a glorified idiot light!!!

I have my trans built (billet triple disc converter, pump mods, BTS valve body, aftermarket cooler, etc...) and it is night and day difference from towing with a stocker!! :cheers:

6. Freyboy23

Freyboy23 AboristSite Guru

WEll I think you have way more done to your truck then just Trans!!! hahah Love that Truck man! You cant go wrong with a 7.3 Powerstroke!!

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Addicted to ArboristSite

Buy a 40K GVW rated trans cooler NOW. Right NOW!....

Add the GOOD tranny temp guage at the same time.

Don't be scared to let the 7.3 wind out. It's built for that. TRUST me, when you see a hill, downshift and let it rev....it's a very tough engine, and it has great power....but nothing like a gasser...it will feel sluggish with a big load, but rev it and hang in there...it WILL get you there.

Just be SURE to let the engine idle for 5 minutes before you shut it down if you have been using the turbo (Above 2000 rpm)....but letting it idle a little every shut down isn't a bad idea. It oils and cools the turbo bearings.

What gearing does the truck have? That's the biggest factor in how you'll run it.

8. Ironbark

Ironbark AboristSite Guru

Isn't that going to be a little underpowered for towing? 7.3L :jester::cheers:

Over here we have cars with gas tanks about that big :laugh:

9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer Addicted to ArboristSite

444 cubic inches. But the NEW powerstroke is a 6.7 liter....with over 400hp and 720FPT....makes the 7.3 seem like a Renault engine..

Ironbark likes this.
  10. Freyboy23

Freyboy23 AboristSite Guru

How many miles of the Truck you just got?? I have a 1996 f350 powerstroke with 316000 miles on it. I just got it about year ago to start hauling wood and horse trailer. She is a good puller. I have a Chip and a few other thing done to it but you cant go wrong with the 7.3!!! :cheers:

11. wood4heat

Mine is up to 125,000. My FIL has one with over 500,000.

Guess I wont be towing anything with it any time soon anyway. I was out looking at toy haulers over the weekend and made a deal on one yesterday. My plan was to go by the bank after work and go pick it up but just called to let him know when I'd be by and the :censored::censored: sold it out from under me. :rant:

I'm a bit pissed at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  12. wood4heat

Got something worthwhile hooked up to it over the weekend. Found a clean toy hauler and brought it home. The truck pulled it in everdrive with no trouble at all, just kept chugging along. Seems to like 60mph, pulled a few hills that dropped it down to 60mph but it held there. Pulled from 50mph up to 60mph on others and didn't shift out of OD. It impressed me.

The toy hauler was on Whidbey Island so I had to take it across the sound on a ferry.

[​IMG]

It was around a 250mi trip home but it got here with no problems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Bovinius Maximus

Gink has it right. At times we would push 30K pound mark between truck and trailer with a pintle hitch with a company truck I drove for years. The truck w/ tools only weighted in a 12K and always had a load of concrete forms on top of that. The poor truck had a tuff life.

14. nilzlofgren

nilzlofgren Addicted to ArboristSite

I have the old 7.3 IDI. I mentioned before, that I pull 20K. The tranny is a ZF 5 speed. I leave the stick in "OD", and never have a problem.

15. spacemule

spacemule The Peanut Gallery

That trailer ain't a load. What's it weigh, 5, 6 thousand pounds?

16. wood4heat

Ok, so whats a load in your mind?

Speaking only of the subject at hand of course.

17. RVALUE

RVALUE Arboristsite.com Sponsor

RE: Trans temp Gauge:

What year? My 02 seems to heat the trans up mighty fast. Is it just BSing me? That would explain alot of things......

PS I hardly ever take off the OD, maybe at 20 to 25,ooo pounds. F250 :)

18. spacemule

spacemule The Peanut Gallery

A load? For a one ton? A case 450 bulldozer. Any backhoe. Those will weigh 12,000+ without the trailer.

19. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Bovinius Maximus

A one ton will get you bye for occasional use but if you're moving equipment every day that is over 12K you a fast approaching 2 ton territory. Our 18K backhoe can easily pick up the front end of the 2 ton off the ground when loading if we are not careful, it throws the one ton around like a rag doll. We rarely used the one ton for the 14K pound backhoe we used to have for the same reason.

20. wood4heat

I'm not interested in killing my truck. I live in the PNW, can't get anywhere without climbing a mountain range or two. Nothing but hills and tight twisty roads. By the time I've got this thing loaded with bikes, water, fuel, tools, etc. I'll be in the 10,000lb range. That's about all I want to drag around out here.

And "a load" doesn't necessarily mean maxed out. Just something more substantial what you typically carry. It was more than I would have wanted to pull with my old 1/2 ton, for me that made it a "load".

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010