How to Video: Crank seal replacment, Pressure testing, Vacuum testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The last couple days I've been working on another finicky 026. I couldn't get the idle speed down to where the chain would stop spinning. I knew I had some carbuartion issues, so just assumed that's what it was. Long story short, I finally found it had a crank seal leaking BADLY. I grabbed the video camera to show Nik what I had found on his saw. While I was at it, I thought I'd go ahead and do a little video tutorial of sorts on how to pull and replace the seal, and pressure and vaccum test the saw. BTW, the flywheel side seal on a 026 is one of the most difficult to remove. Because it is so small, it's very difficult to get anything other than the proper tool in there for removal. Enjoy.

Finding the culprit.

Fixing the problem.

Last edited:
If the saw wouldn't idle down. Why would you work all day on it before pressure testing it?..... just asking

Great video. Thanks for taking the time to make it and post it. I learned a ton on vacuum/pressure testing the last couple days. Now I can't wait to try it on a temper-mental saw of mine. :)

Good educational stuff..thanks!

So where do you find a puller for those small seals?

At your local Stihl dealer. The one Brad was using is the standard seal puller sold by Stihl. It list for around 150.00. Comes with extra jaws to do most any seal.

Every once in awhile you can find those pullers on E-bay for a few bucks.

Latest posts

Back