How Tough Are You?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'd figure after 5 years it'd have thawed out. You got the permafrost in there?

Go sit by the wood stove and here's some Motrin. Thanks... thanks that'll be $800.

My grandpa watched an old logger in a camp in the U.P. around 1922 remove a tapeworm by tacking the bugger to a stump and then walking around the stump with his pants down util the offending creature was pulled free. It was like a stationery winch drum.

That was a tough man.

Kinda both funny and scary thread...

I was experimenting with making/renewing lead alloy bearings several years ago. Some pounds of like 1060° F molten metal, I had my fingers very near the the top of it while fluxing and removing the mess, when the last blocks of added alloy colapsed while melting below the surface. This created a wave which surrounded my three middle fingers up to second knuckle. Haven´t ever seen or heard someting like that-and I cast my bullets from preschool age... OK, never mind the burned fingers, I started later to pour the bearing and I see the f*** shimmering in the funell-as I cursed upon getting my fingers burned, there must have been a little spit left there. Took the head as far as I could just in time to be missed by the shower almost entirely, but not all-just after finishing the pour, I removed nearly perfect cast of my lips from my face. Went to school and work the next day. Must say, my ex was not that much keen about lost feel in my lips and fingers... The lips got OK after nine months, the fingers took six years. Never been to docs with that.
Still I can take out the meat from a pan or a boiling pot from the fire barehanded, as I do at times...

The widowmaker story, I posted it somewhere here. I was with a brushcutter clearing some doghaired understory mess, upt to 3" dia and 15-27 ft tall. You couldn´t extend your hand right in front of you at places there, if ya didn´t make room with the brushsaw... It was after a good hailstorm, no leaves left on the trees, just knee high on the ground, a lot of 1" branches broken on the ground etc. Helluva mess. I heard "crack" above me and pushed myself to the side as much as I could, so I got struck by about 10 pound piece of pine limb, running for me from some 55´ height. Got struck into helmet, a bit left from the middle and above the ear. The helmet was OK, so were the earmuffs, so I went on for next 4 hours. Brushcutting, yanking 250# pieces of underbrush around, pulling them out and creating a nice 12´high pile... When I started to need three stops a hour with having almost a nap with my legs above me, to drink a little six times an hour, I called it a day, hanged some 140# of equipment onto me all over the shoulders and neck, walked with it about a mile to a house where it was stored and went home and later that day to docs. After an x-ray, I was sent home on my own with a neck supporting collar, with a word that I had a bit sprained neck, but nothing serious. After sleeping almost whole day, I was back (again, on my own, walked there), that this is not normal for me. A magnetic resonantion revealed displaced vertebrates by 1/4" in my neck and upper thorax, turned up to 10° or so away from position, brutal bruising of everything in the neck, as it got slammed down to the right, while I had my head somewhere in my right armpit for a moment. Headless rider for a second... Spend some time in the hospital, lost the mimics for several days, still have sometimes trouble with my right hand since then. I had to teach it some moves again-I couldn´t match the cuts in the beginning... The docs were fairly surprised how the hell I´m not dead...

I had a lesbian couple that wanted me to be their baby daddy. They offered that I could have both of them if that I wanted, just one of them was going to get pregnant. Both nice girls, really good looking for lesbians, good jobs with great retirement and bennies, but I said no. No doubt they would have loved the kid and taken great care of it, but the whole idea felt weird and I could see nothing but years of drama coming from that.

...and I ain't that tough.

I have almost exactly the same story. Those girls were more Bi to straight, just found for themselves easier living with a woman without the annoyances we men sometimes give around for free. They both wanted a kid, they were pretty nice and sexy girls... But I must admit that I kinda lost my balls upon the proposal and met them just once and incidentaly since then...

Not sure if this makes me any tough, but gives me a good ticket to be sore in later years, that´s for sure.

Is it tough to plant over a million tree seedlings? Lately I've been doing that on scree slopes covered with slash at the 4,000' line in West Virginia - snowed on us the morning of May 16th up there this year. Most people would rather get food stamps.

I broke a fiberglass handled 8 pound sledgehammer beating the hinge pins out of a dump truck box.................went to town and bought a wicked hickory handled ten pounder................then the chowder head working with me want on about how he used to run a sledgehammer all day long and while I knelt down (bad idea #1) holding a chunk of round stock on the pin for said chowder head to hit (bad idea #2 letting the fool touch a sledgehammer)...............well he goes to start his swing so I turn my head concentrating on the round stock and pin.................that ruh-tard never even hit the steel, just my Damn face! Hit me just under the corner of the mouth right square in the jaw (broke my jaw I found out 2 years later getting x-rays at the dentist) and I was ready to return the favor except I couldn't catch the bastad before he got to the shop foreman and he intercepted me with the 50 questions. Stupid and stubborn is what took place there and I thought I would have to foot the bill for Dr visit and I wanted no part of that. Stubborn, tough, and cheap

I broke a fiberglass handled 8 pound sledgehammer beating the hinge pins out of a dump truck box.................went to town and bought a wicked hickory handled ten pounder................then the chowder head working with me want on about how he used to run a sledgehammer all day long and while I knelt down (bad idea #1) holding a chunk of round stock on the pin for said chowder head to hit (bad idea #2 letting the fool touch a sledgehammer)...............well he goes to start his swing so I turn my head concentrating on the round stock and pin.................that ruh-tard never even hit the steel, just my Damn face! Hit me just under the corner of the mouth right square in the jaw (broke my jaw I found out 2 years later getting x-rays at the dentist) and I was ready to return the favor except I couldn't catch the bastad before he got to the shop foreman and he intercepted me with the 50 questions. Stupid and stubborn is what took place there and I thought I would have to foot the bill for Dr visit and I wanted no part of that. Stubborn, tough, and cheap
I've taken a couple of hits like that, one of them nearly came close to knocking me sensible.
Ardedski

I've taken a couple of hits like that, one of them nearly came close to knocking me sensible.
Ardedski
Yes sir, that one was the hardest shot to the mug I've taken by far hands down. Been bucked off horses in boulder patches on muh head, broken snot box, and fell off a pickup half loaded with hay bales onto a wooden mainjor we built to feed horses...............landed on 2 divider posts on my side one in the right a$$ cheek and the other the right side of the melon................head was fine, however the other delivered the worst Charlie horse of my life

Yes sir, that one was the hardest shot to the mug I've taken by far hands down. Been bucked off horses in boulder patches on muh head, broken snot box, and fell off a pickup half loaded with hay bales onto a wooden mainjor we built to feed horses...............landed on 2 divider posts on my side one in the right a$$ cheek and the other the right side of the melon................head was fine, however the other delivered the worst Charlie horse of my life
I've been lucky, not being the most handsomest rooster around, hits like that have actually improved my looks!
Ruffinski

i'm so tough last winter i was skiing down a hill cought my ski in a bush and it twisted my leg so bad my toes were pointing backwards and my knee was out of socket i got up set everything where it is supposed to be and went back to cutting wood THE NEXT DAY, then TWO WEEKS later everything no wheres near heild, slipped on a log i was walking across and broke my femour bone on my other leg supposedly the worst bone to break i continued working until my boss FORCED me to see a doctor on account of my pants were getting tight from swelling afterwards the doctor told me not to put any pressure whatsoever on it for 2 - 3 weeks then he would see me again (i wouldnt let him give me a cast) i WALKED out threw my cruches in a snow bank and WENT BACK TO WORK CUTTING FIREWOOD NOW WITH TO MAJURE INJURES and continued working with my pase barely slowed i own a firewood buisness of my own now and do it all by my self from the time the tree is standing to in the delivery truck. but the real kicker is I AM ONLY 15 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!! so suck it you pussies.

i'm so tough last winter i was skiing down a hill cought my ski in a bush and it twisted my leg so bad my toes were pointing backwards and my knee was out of socket i got up set everything where it is supposed to be and went back to cutting wood THE NEXT DAY, then TWO WEEKS later everything no wheres near heild, slipped on a log i was walking across and broke my femour bone on my other leg supposedly the worst bone to break i continued working until my boss FORCED me to see a doctor on account of my pants were getting tight from swelling afterwards the doctor told me not to put any pressure whatsoever on it for 2 - 3 weeks then he would see me again (i wouldnt let him give me a cast) i WALKED out threw my cruches in a snow bank and WENT BACK TO WORK CUTTING FIREWOOD NOW WITH TO MAJURE INJURES and continued working with my pase barely slowed i own a firewood buisness of my own now and do it all by my self from the time the tree is standing to in the delivery truck. but the real kicker is I AM ONLY 15 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!! so suck it you pussies.

Yup and your brain is only 15 years old. You sound stupid to me, and not at all "tough". You won't pay attention to this, but you will pay for your "toughness" in about 30 years, or maybe fewer. That is, if any of your story is true, and I doubt it. Please work on your spelling, you still have time to learn how to spell major.

Oh well, time to go be"tough" and mosey out through the rain to the pickup. Now where is my coffee cup?

it is true however yes it is not a smart thing to do i realize this and will probably never do anything like it again because as you said i will feel it in 30 years is something i learned recently because its already catching up to me not even a year later, and i have trouble with ELA class in general so sorry about that but it is a personal struggle of mine that i would appreciate you not bringing up.

Latest posts

Back