How's Your Wood Pile Looking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many cords will you burn this winter?

• Total voters

MountainHigh

Selective Tree whacker
Reaction score
Still getting ready for winter ... I missed wood splitting in May and all of June so I am behind this year.

Will have 2 cords of 2 year seasoned dry wood stacked near the house here shortly:

dry-1.jpg
and another 2 cords of seasoned dry is tucked in behind this soon to be finished appx 4 cords 6 month stack (below):

dry-2.jpg
and then there's still the 3+ piles (appx 6+ cords) I have to split that will season for a year or two (below).

woodpile1.jpg woodpile2.jpg wood-pile-3-4-5.jpg

August is going to be wood splitting heaven :cool: ... then bring on winter :rock:

I'm down to some knotty oak I will noodle, and around 2/3rds cord of hickory to split, then that's it, have to go cut a heap 0 rounds and bring them in. I held out cutting until what I had already was finished splitting and stacked. almost done with my bonus wood brush pile as well, featured in the jawsaw thread ;)

I am 3-6 years ahead, depending on if I sell (or trade) a bunch this winter or not.

Cutting is the easy part, and takes the least time, hauling it in then splitting and stacking is where the real grunt work comes in.

I know it would be loads faster to just split on site with a hydraulic, load into a dump truck with a FEL or conveyor and just stack/store heaps, but.....

Cutting is the easy part, and takes the least time, hauling it in then splitting and stacking is where the real grunt work comes in.
I know it would be loads faster to just split on site with a hydraulic, load into a dump truck with a FEL or conveyor and just stack/store heaps, but.....

You sure got that right! I far prefer a day in the mountains to cut and pack it home, than splitting and stacking.
Would love to find some wood where I could drag my splitter along, but mountain roads are not co-operating.
I find I can split the clear wood faster with an axe/maul, but use my hydraulic for anything with knots.

You sure got that right! I far prefer a day in the mountains to cut and pack it home, than splitting and stacking.
Would love to find some wood where I could drag my splitter along, but mountain roads are not co-operating.
I find I can split the clear wood faster with an axe/maul, but use my hydraulic for anything with knots.

On nice clean wicked straight good wood, yep, hand splitting is as fast as or faster if ya feel like it over a hydraulic. Knots, egads, tried some tonight, my elbow still hurts, been a month now. Nuts, noodle party #2 coming up shortly. I did one measly wheelbarrow full and gave up.

Just say no to knots!

Dangit though, knot wood is the best wood for burning.....

I have maybe 1 cord left. Boss gave me a major solid and said I could have all the "irregular" pieces we don't sell to our clients. We ship in kiln dried hardwood from Pa. I should have enough to last 2-3 years.

That qualifies as a YOU SUCK, with oak leaf clusters! Free kiln dried!

I wish I was as far ahead as some of you guys. I only had a 1/2 cord left after last winter and have cut about 4 so far this summer. I am hoping in October I can get another 2-3 before winter hits. Luckily it doesn't get cold here until December

I wish I was as far ahead as some of you guys. I only had a 1/2 cord left after last winter and have cut about 4 so far this summer. I am hoping in October I can get another 2-3 before winter hits. Luckily it doesn't get cold here until December

Look at the bright side, you *did* have wood left over, and are on the stick adding to it. As long as you cut and stack more than you burn, you're good! It starts adding up fast.

Look at the bright side, you *did* have wood left over, and are on the stick adding to it. As long as you cut and stack more than you burn, you're good! It starts adding up fast.
That is true. But last winter was really really warm here on the west coast while the east coast got pummeled. I burnt 3 last year so I would like to double it incase be get a hard winter.

Just about all of my wood is split by hand, but there came a time I was so inundated with rounds waiting to be cracked open I had to cave in and borrow my buddys hydraulic Ariens splitter. Sure made things faster! Now I have to stack up the piles I created :(. I should be all caught up by this weekend. And that will make more room on the landing for new rounds coming in. I'm all set for this winter though. Everything I'm dealing with now will be next years heat.

Back