Huge cookies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
Reaction score
Soimage.jpg I'm working with my buddy doing tree work and I see his boss has a massive ash tree. It's easily 48" diameter log and he said he doesn't know what his boss is going to do with it.

I'm just wondering if you guys have any good techniques with cutting even thickness cookies. I can obviously free hand it but because I'm going to need to attack it from each end, and feel as if it will be hard to keep my cut square.

I don't feel comfortable asking him to elevate it for me or anything so just wondering if you guys had any tips. Each log weighs 10,000 lbs according to my buddy.

Thanks!

SoView attachment 435164 I'm working with my buddy doing tree work and I see his boss has a massive ash tree. It's easily 48" diameter log and he said he doesn't know what his boss is going to do with it.

I'm just wondering if you guys have any good techniques with cutting even thickness cookies. I can obviously free hand it but because I'm going to need to attack it from each end, and feel as if it will be hard to keep my cut square.

I don't feel comfortable asking him to elevate it for me or anything so just wondering if you guys had any tips. Each log weighs 10,000 lbs according to my buddy.

Thanks!
you really need, a big saw,,and a 60 inch bar..........

if want them perfect need an alaska mill with a bar long enough to make 1 pass ,,i would use a couple 2x4 boards screwed to the end of the log ,then take a carpenter level for a flat edge and use shims to level the 2x4's for first cut ,after the first one you will have a flat pad for the mill to slide on for the rest of the cuts

Yeah we should. I'm in ambler but looks like your not far from my fiance's parents. They live in Doylestown. Do you have a CS mill or band saw mill?

I have a 36" Alaskan and an 076 with a 42" bar on it. Only way I'm getting a cookie out of it is if I have a go at free handing it.

Has anyone free handed and just used a router or something to square it up?

Yeah we should. I'm in ambler but looks like your not far from my fiance's parents. They live in Doylestown. Do you have a CS mill or band saw mill?

I have a 36" Alaskan and an 076 with a 42" bar on it. Only way I'm getting a cookie out of it is if I have a go at free handing it.

Has anyone free handed and just used a router or something to square it up?

That's the way to do it. How are you planning to prevent or deal with cracking? That's always the bugaboo with cutting cookies.

I wouldn't feel comfortable using so one else's 60" bar and chain I don't think. That's like an hour of sharpening lol.

I was thinking of just immediately coating it with a bunch of coats of poly to slow up the drying. I guess cracking is inevitable

I got to "pose" with Stihl 041S 's 090 at the PA GTG this Spring. I don't know if he's anywhere near you, but he is generally generous about running his big saw.???
20150509_142200%201_zpsjl16i5ju.jpg

If it were me, I would cut it the other way with an Alaskan to make slabs. But, then, I have an 084, a 60" bar, and an Alaskan with the proper sized rails. ;)

Hope your cookies don't crack!

Well I'm sure his boss would be okay with us making some cuts on a weekend if you're really interested.

Grey we actually spoke at the end of the gtg this year. Stihl 041s was kind enough to let me run his 42" bar and chain on the new-to-me 076 super. Not sure how close he is to montgomery county...

Latest posts

Back