Huge red oak up for grabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is just sitting there, my estimate I'd at least 65+ feet tall, gigantic diameter, probably 60 inches , northern red oak, recently died, reached maturity, but man, I promised my buddy I would at least try to find someone, this tree is way too good for pulp / firewood etc, it would be great to make furniture, executive office tables from, veneer, etc, even flooring......But I'm not sure the calculation for tree diameter and height for board feet etc, maybe someone can help ??

He can't afford to have it felled for money but he can give the entire tree away, I saw it, it's huge........I bet there is enough heart wood to make a few folks smile, but my friend would need someone with real pro equipment, not some cheap home owner set up, this tree demands respect

A location would help. If it was near me I would do it pending what is in the fall path and risk to property. Does it need to be limbed or can you just drop it? I'm sure you would find someone who would do it for free if you can just drop it. Just don't expect to get paid for the wood.

A location would help. If it was near me I would do it pending what is in the fall path and risk to property. Does it need to be limbed or can you just drop it? I'm sure you would find someone who would do it for free if you can just drop it. Just don't expect to get paid for the wood.
Cincinnati Ohio area, it would need limbed and it is about 15 feet from a house but there is a good open area to drop.it, my guess is it's 50" in diameter, a mature red oak, bark mostly gone........homeowner has no money except the lumber value itself......I don't have a picture but may be able to have one sent to me....

He said the reason it died was because it was hit by lightning, so there must be internal damage to kill a gigantic red oak in this fashion......

Just make sure that the owner doesn't expect to be paid for the tree and I'm sure you'll find someone with experience to remove it.
Most of us with experience that do this type of work have no insurance or want to fork out cash for work that would normally cost thousands if you hired a tree service.
In other words, a tree is not worth anything to any of us until we do all the work to it, like cut it down(Fell it); block it all up and haul it, split it and stack it and let it season for a year or more.
Then and only then is it worth something.

It is just sitting there, my estimate I'd at least 65+ feet tall, gigantic diameter, probably 60 inches , northern red oak, recently died, reached maturity, but man, I promised my buddy I would at least try to find someone, this tree is way too good for pulp / firewood etc, it would be great to make furniture, executive office tables from, veneer, etc, even flooring......But I'm not sure the calculation for tree diameter and height for board feet etc, maybe someone can help ??
One of "MY" formulas for calculating BF (board feet) in a log is- Measure the diameter( in inches) at small end of log (no bark) / divide by four / subtract one / times this answer by itself and then multiply this by the length of the log Works perfect for Doyles' rule if log diameter is divisible by four. EXAMPLE; 36" log 10 ft long 36 divide by 4 equals 9 take the 9 subtract 1 leaves 8 8 times itself is 64 multiply 64 by the length in feet of 10 gives you the answer of 640 board feet in that log does not work for other log scales only doyle Other diameters that are not divisible by 4 you can guesstimate or interpolate to get close. I have NEVER seen or heard this anywhere but years ago I got some sort of Brain Fart and have never forgot this.

Latest posts

Back