Hurricane Harvey storm work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasEta

Reaction score
Wondering what is the best way to get some tree removal work out of Hurricane Harvey? I am based out of Omaha, NE. Also any idea what the situation is like in terms of access to the affected area and what is the best option for lodging?What should be a good rate to charge and also how are the payments made for storm work?
Any help will be great.

Wondering what is the best way to get some tree removal work out of Hurricane Harvey? I am based out of Omaha, NE. Also any idea what the situation is like in terms of access to the affected area and what is the best option for lodging?What should be a good rate to charge and also how are the payments made for storm work?
Any help will be great.

The best way to get work would be to show up. Great idea to head down there to help out. Imagine payments would be arranged on an individual basis. Wouldn't be surprised if there were an abundance of profitable work for you. Lodging might be pretty scarce. Take a tent and tons of other supplies.

Biggest concern would be getting paid from home owners. With all the devastation and extra expenses and I charge $2000 to remove a tree I want to make sure I get paid for the work. I'm all for helping out but I need to cover my expenses too ya know. From the was it sounds I may need an ark.

Make sure you figure out what vendor licenses/permits you need from State and localities. Does your insurance cover work in TX? You bringing employees along? If so, make sure you have workers comp in TX.

You may need good contracts to help ensure you get paid. It might be tough to get paid $2K on the spot... Might also work closely with insurance companies. They may pay slower, but they will pay.

If you aren't on the road you're too late, the professional storm chasers are already there. It's a tough business to try and get into. Everyone I know already has their contracts in place. This was more a rain event than a wind event, and where the major wind damage was isn't that heavily forested. Way different than Ike or Katrina.

The previous AS members are right. It is very difficult to produce a profit under the conditions that are present from Harvey. Motel rooms are hard to acquire so having access to a camper is a must. Then you need your tractor there and then you need licensing for the towns or state. To make it really profitable the property owners need to be willing to pay double of what they normally would be paying for trimming or removals. Just my buck minus $.98. Thanks

Any help will be great.
I wouldn't rely on lodging there and bring an RV or something along the lines.

Don't know why I didn't think to mention before, but get a credit card scanner. Folks may not have cash or be able to write a check, but they probably have a card... I use Square. Free reader and free to set up. Slightly higher per transaction fees, but for as little as I use it, I'll take that over monthly fees.

Update: most of the wind damage was down south, which is relatively bare of trees. My buddy from Bastrop, who has been doing storm work for years, initially had an insurance contract for the Victoria area, but couldn't mobilize until tomorrow, just had his contract cancelled.

Back